Double Take
No, you're not seeing double. We have a new goose--Yoder (named after the town he came from). Yoder and Lucy are living in the backyard right now. We got him about two weeks ago. The day after we got him, I put the two of them in the goose pen for the night and a little while later I couldn't see Yoder. Lucy had been chasing him around all day so I was a little worried. Did we lose another goose after only one day?
I found him wedged between the back of the goose house and the fence and it wasn't good. He couldn't move. I managed to get him un-stuck, but it looked like his leg was broken. What do you do with a broken-legged goose? I decided to call Irv at work--I was sure he would know what to do. Well, he offered to come home and wring Yoder's neck. OMG! I declined his offer.
The next morning things didn't look any better. I was really relieved when Irv asked if I wanted to take him to the vet. Relief! (If it had been my idea I'm sure it would have been RIDICULES.) So my darling husband found a vet that specializes in birds and off we go. I expected they were just going to put him to sleep, a much nicer demise than having his neck wrung.
I can't believe I publicly posted that I took a goose to the vet. Oh well, anyone who knows me knows how much I love critters. A life is worth saving even if it's just a goose.
I found him wedged between the back of the goose house and the fence and it wasn't good. He couldn't move. I managed to get him un-stuck, but it looked like his leg was broken. What do you do with a broken-legged goose? I decided to call Irv at work--I was sure he would know what to do. Well, he offered to come home and wring Yoder's neck. OMG! I declined his offer.
The vet asked if she could put Yoder "under" to have a better look at his leg. Sure, why not? It's only $$$$. After a few minutes we hear honking...it's Yoder. He's alive and well and he's WALKING! His leg was only dislocated. After a few days of "bed rest" and pain medication, Yoder was as good as new. They've been living in the backyard ever since. Irv moved the goose house out further from the fence so Yoder has room to run from Lucy without getting stuck again, but I'm afraid. What if she tries to kill him again and I have to take a goose to the vet a second time?
I can't believe I publicly posted that I took a goose to the vet. Oh well, anyone who knows me knows how much I love critters. A life is worth saving even if it's just a goose.
Comments