Sleep, please
So today is going to be a very personal post. Six days ago my beautiful daughter was married to a wonderful man. I feel very blessed for that. However, these last few days have been kind of rough. The wedding weekend was full of joy and celebration…and very little sleep. In addition, I got to make a whirl wind tour of some of our branch offices for work this week. I really think it’s unfair that the mom and dad don’t get a “honeymoon” of their own after the wedding! It’ s great having a three day weekend, but it sucks that Irv is working just like he does for every holiday. We spent the last several months planning every minute of the wedding and it turned out as close to perfect as possible. Jillian and Brian left on their honeymoon, Dana and Adam went back to Australia, my Dad, brother and his family went back home, Irv’s family came and went without us getting to spend much time with them. Irv and I have been wrapping things up…returning things to the vendors, putting things away, making sure everyone has been paid, and so on. It has been non-stop.
It’s hard standing in the background and giving your daughter away, especially when you aren’t the dad who gets to give a toast and tell the world how much your daughter means to you, nor do you get to have that special dance. Instead you just stand in the background and watch. I guess it will just prepare me for the next major life change…the day Brian gets the call that he’s going to a new duty station and my baby moves away. My heart breaks just thinking about it. I like having my babies close! At least Dana is coming home from Australia in July and Mary is here.
I suppose it’s only natural to have a bit of a let-down after a wedding. I think I need at least 12 hours of continuous sleep and to do something that is totally fun and only for me. Thank goodness I’m spending the afternoon with friends tomorrow.
Whenver I want to bring a smile to my face I can watch this video from the wedding--me, Dana, Mary, Mel, Kim, Leslie, J.J. and Irv doing our interpretation of Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights (don't ask me why, but this is a family tradition, I'm sure people thought we were nuts). This was a very good time! (and I don't think unlimited adult beverages had anything to do with it.)
It’s hard standing in the background and giving your daughter away, especially when you aren’t the dad who gets to give a toast and tell the world how much your daughter means to you, nor do you get to have that special dance. Instead you just stand in the background and watch. I guess it will just prepare me for the next major life change…the day Brian gets the call that he’s going to a new duty station and my baby moves away. My heart breaks just thinking about it. I like having my babies close! At least Dana is coming home from Australia in July and Mary is here.
I suppose it’s only natural to have a bit of a let-down after a wedding. I think I need at least 12 hours of continuous sleep and to do something that is totally fun and only for me. Thank goodness I’m spending the afternoon with friends tomorrow.
Whenver I want to bring a smile to my face I can watch this video from the wedding--me, Dana, Mary, Mel, Kim, Leslie, J.J. and Irv doing our interpretation of Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights (don't ask me why, but this is a family tradition, I'm sure people thought we were nuts). This was a very good time! (and I don't think unlimited adult beverages had anything to do with it.)
Comments
The wedding and reception was perfect and went very smoothly. Usually smoothly means somebody was working their butt off for some time to make it go smooth. Thank you for all your hard work.
For all the fun we had and joy in the wedding we did miss not being able to spend some time with you and Irv. You are right in that there needs to be a honeymoon for the parents of the bride.
I loved the video. That is a whole different side to you that I've never seen. I love it. How many cherry cokes did Irv have that evening. It looked like he was getting down.
I was looking over the pics from the wedding. You had some big ole smiles on you. I loved those. Your whole family has great smiles. Me and Gramps, we do what we can with the smile department.