Horse Chores

Owning horses is not for the faint of heart.  There is always something that needs to be done with them in addition to feeding and watering.


We keep their stalls clean on a daily basis, but these boys like to stand outside their stalls and poop.


A horse poops an average of 50 lbs. per day.  On what might be the last nice day of the year Irv and I went out there to clean up the outside area.


We each have our own apple picker (pitchfork) and wheelbarrow.  Load after load got hauled to the muck pile.  The horses love the muck pile in the winter because all these poop generates heat.  It's not uncommon to see them taking naps on top of the pile during the day.  


Then there are the other lovely chores like cleaning the back of Doc's legs and tail with the hose and a scrub brush after he had a bout of diarrhea last week.  He's okay now.


Doc will turn 27 on January 1st (all horses birthdays are on January 1).  He's been a member of our family for 24 years.  I love the horses very much, but I'm looking forward to real retirement when we aren't out there feeding at 6:30 a.m. no matter what the weather is.

Have a great weekend!




Comments

polcat24 said…
Yes, My wife is a slave driver. She always has something for me to do. It's like being in the Army and having a first SGT. But what she has me do always needs to be done she just motivates me to do it.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I love photos of your horses. Glad they give you and Irv something to do.

Let me see, 6:30, oh yeah, that is when I have first thoughts of getting up. Don't judge, I did over four decades of getting up at 5:15.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!