60 Degrees in December?

What's happening with the weather?  It's December in Colorado and it's supposed to be cold and snowy.


Now mind you, we've had a few cold days and a little bit of snow, but nothing like it should be.  We've had days in the 60s so you know what that means don't you?  Time to put Irv to work.


In a previous post I told you how we purchased some bulbs in Amsterdam.  They really need to be planted in the fall so we were lucky to have a day to put them in the ground.  (it is technically still fall until December 21)


We bought three varieties and I wanted them planted in bunches so three holes were needed.  


The weather is so nice why not keep going with outdoor maintenance?  While I was gone this summer one of my beloved pine trees died.  Irv tried to save it by cutting the top half off.


I had to break it to him that the tree was a goner and needed to go.  It's really hard to keep trees alive out here on the high desert of Colorado.  Even with a drip line this tree couldn't survive.  That's why every year we plant at least one new tree.  Normally these long needled pines do great out here.  Are they Ponderosa pines?  Dad, I need your help identifying my own trees.


My dad gave Irv his little electric powered chain saw and it was perfect for the job.


All the branches got cut off and into small pieces before hauling them out by the rapper roost in the pasture.  We've already seen our lone hawk putting them into the nest.


Here's something else we purchased at the Tulip Museum--an Amaryllis bulb.  Now keep in mind that this was just a bulb when we got home three weeks ago.  The people at the museum showed us how to suspend it in water so planting it in soil wasn't necessary.  It's already about a foot high.  Maybe it will bloom for Christmas!  On the left of it is the Amaryllis that my dad planted years ago.  It doesn't have a stalk yet, but it's blooms are always amazing too.  Nature is amazing!

How's your December weather been?  I hope you're outside enjoying it if possible.


Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Irv is rocking those chores.

Dad could tell the condition and type of a tree at a glance.
polcat24 said…
I really like the Amaryllis, since the picture was taken it has sprouted a second bloom so we will have two from one bulb . can't wait to see how they look.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!