It's About Time!
Irv and I did a thing last week. To most people this thing would not be a big deal, but it's been 30 years in the making for us.
Due to Irv's military service and our being stationed in Germany during the late 1980s and early 1990s, we been barred from donating blood.
You might be wondering why that is. Well, it was to prevent the transmission of Mad Cow Disease (a brain disease). Military bases in Germany got its beef from the United Kingdom back them and it might have been tainted with the disease.
After 30 years the FDA decided to lift that ban so that millions of former service members and their families could donate blood and plasma.
I've been waiting for this day for a long time. I'm a big believer in supporting your community and quite frankly, there could come a day that I would require blood from a stranger. I have a blood type that is a little more rare that the average person so I hope to get on the rolls of someone who could be called if a shortage of my blood type existed.
It was a quick and easy process. It's a shame more people won't step up to the task when called upon.
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson




Comments