Butterflies Everywhere!
A couple weeks ago we went to the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden to view the Chihully exhibt which was wonderful. An added bonus was that we were there on the opening day of the Butterfly Pavilion.
After masking up they let a few people in at a time. The guide said there were about 1,500 butterflies on the loose so we needed to watch our step. The Zebra Longwing (pictured above) was by far he most populous butterfly.
Another Zebra Longwing, but this time on a pink flower.
I've done my best to identify the butterflies we saw. I believe this is a Great Southern White.
Another Zebra Longwing.
Yes, another Zebra Longwing but this time on a yellow bloom.
Zebra Longwing on some sort of daisy.
Here's one I'm not too sure about. I think it's a Common Buckeye. All I know is that it's beautiful and this particular breed chose to hang out on the mesh walls of the pavilion rather than on the many flowers. If anyone know if I'm correct in its identification please let me know.
I was lucky to have my good camera with me and I got some nice shots. This is my favorite photo of the day. It's a Gulf Fritillary.
A couple more Great Southern Whites.
Here's a kaleidoscope of Zebra Longwings. Did you know a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope?
Another Gulf Fritillary looking amazing on that purple bloom.
A kaleidoscope of Painted Ladies. These ladies sometime migrate through Colorado and that's why I have lots of plants they like to munch on to help them with their journey.
Another Painted Lady.
This is Giant Swallowtail which looks amazing against those red flowers.
If you're ever in the Phoenix area in the spring I highly recommend a visit to the Butterfly Pavilion. It's magical.
"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for new and richer experience"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Are you living your life to the fullest?
Comments