Plein Air in the Desert
On our last day in Cave Creek I got to do some plein air painting!
We went out to Cave Creek Regional Park to find the perfect spot. We drove around until I located the perfect subjects for my painting. In plein air painting you have to limit your scope so I had to choose only two of the magnificent saguaros in my view.
By the way, this park is fantastic. If you're a camper they have a really nice RV park there. I definitely hope to camp there sometime.
Luckily the spot I chose had a picnic table nearby so I had a place to put all my stuff since I didn't bring my camp table and chair. Irv was happy to hang out and read his book while I went to work. I hadn't realized he also took photos throughout the day.
It was a warm Arizona day, at least it was to us Coloradans. It was in the low 80s which is warm by our standards. I loved it!
Such a beautiful setting! Do you notice anything wrong in this picture? Yes, I'm painting outside without a hat and with my sunglasses on. When you paint outside you've got to wear a hat to shade your eyes and no sunglasses. How can you get the color right through colored lenses?
After a while I had to take a seat. Normally an oil painting is done in layers. You do the underpainting in burnt umber then let it dry for at least three days. Then you add the next layer and let it dry for another three days and so on.
My instructor has been working with me on plein air painting techniques. You have to work quickly and finish the painting in one sitting so multiple layers aren't possible. You've got to get it right the first time and before the lighting changes.
After about three and a half hours this is what I had. I was quite happy with it. It was more colorful than this photo suggests. A young guy was observing what I was doing from a distance and said I had the lighting right and it looked great. I generally don't like to be bothered by muggles when I'm outside painting, but in this case he didn't get too close and his comments were greatly appreciated. I'm very critical of my own work and never feel like it's good enough. I don't know any artist who is ever completely happy with their work or ever thinks its completely finished.
There was something else I got during those three and a half hours--a bright red, sunburned right arm and a red neck. Oh Lord, I've been in Arizona too long and turned into a redneck (just joking).
We hadn't brought any snacks along and I worked right through lunch time so afterwards we went to the Horny Toad in Cave Creek for an early dinner. Since it was our last meal on vacation we went for it. This place is known for its fried chicken so Irv had the special which was two pieces of chicken and ribs. It was yummy.
I went for a steak and potato. (Sorry, I'm not a big fan of fried foods.) It was also very yummy.
Last weekend it was warm enough to open my art studio so guess what? I got my saguaro painting out and starting messing with it. I had to...when the paint dried the green absorbed all the beautiful colors I had put in. I have a little more tweaking to do, but then I promise it will be done.
In case I haven't mentioned this before--I love the desert!










Comments