Veteran's Day Parade 2018

On Saturday we loaded up and headed to downtown Colorado Springs for the annual Veteran's Day parade which is held on the first Saturday of November.


It was cold and I mean really cold.  It was about 40 degrees and the wind was blowing.  That's usually not too bad unless you're just sitting in it.  Coats, hats and gloves were definitely needed.


Finally, it began led by Colorado Spring's finest.


They were followed by the mounted guard from Ft. Carson.


I love the salute to all veterans including those from our past.



Ft. Carson also sent their band.  I wonder how these guys like spending their day off marching in a parade when it's so cold outside.


I love WWII history.  I'm so grateful to that generation...I can't imagine what it must have been like to live during that time.


We even got a flyover from the Air Force.


No parade is complete without the horses.  These are the Pikes Peak or Bust Range Riders.  Another all male secret organization.


We had this drone hovering above us almost the entire time we were at the parade.  I will admit it was kind of annoying.  I was just hoping the pilot was good at piloting as he was over the parade and the crowd all the time.  I think he was with the newspaper or one of the local TV stations.  


Here's a tribute to the revolutionary soldiers.  I'm sorry, but those in Confederate uniforms didn't get a picture.  Nothing to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.


The Air Force Academy sent a fire engine and...


...and a bunch of cadets.  Did you hear about the Air Force Academy's mascot falcon that was stolen by West Point last weekend?  They ended up injuring the bird, but luckily it looks like he will recover.


Of course the dogs get a picture.


After quite some time they finally showed up...Mr. Bean's ROTC group.


They are quite a large group and Mr. Beans was keeping them all in step with the drum.


He says playing the drum for an extended period makes him arm really tired.  Notice that gold braid on his shoulder?  We are so proud of this young man and all he has accomplished.


As soon as Mr. Beans' group went by we loaded up in the car and left.  We were all frozen by that time.  It was time for a cold beer and lunch in a warm place.

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
First off, kudos to Mr. Beans and his drum keeping his crew in line.

And kudos to you, for showing up in support of Mr. Beans and the other people in the parade. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to all vets, including Irv, and Irv's Dad, and gramps, and brother Bob, cousin Robert, Uncle Glen, and others.

Tomorrow is Tulsa's Veteran's Day parade, I'm looking forward to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!