Goodbye Dad...until we meet again

It has been a month since my last post and what a month it has been.  I never imagined that my summer in Yellowstone would end with my father's death.  I honestly thought my dad would outlive all of us.  Yes, he had Parkinson's Disease, but other than that he seemed healthy.

The decision to quit my job and spend the summer in Yellowstone close to my dad turned out to be more of a blessing than I ever imagined it could be.  On many of my days off I made the drive to Idaho Falls to spend time with dad.  All during this time, however, I didn't realize that my dad's health was declining.

My brother and I talked dad into moving to Colorado Springs.  My darling husband and daughter went out and found him a new assisted living place, my brother found a company that could transport him and we were all euphoric at the thought of having him close by.  Dad seemed excited about it too, he told everyone he met that he was moving to Colorado.  After figuring out all the logistics the family gathered to get the move started, but then it became clear that it wasn't going to happen.

I got to spend several days alone with my dad and what a gift that turned out to be.  On his last good day we had a long talk and a good cry together.  I promised him that I would be with him to the end and I was.  Irv moved my dad's recliner to his bedside and I kept vigil with him all night.  Having that opportunity to say goodbye to my dad while he was still alert was such a gift, it helped me to handle his death in a good way.

The week following dad's death was a whirlwind.  There were so many things to take care of in addition to clearing out his apartment.  I don't know what I would have done without Irv's help.  My brother's wife was also a godsend.  We sold what we could and donated other things to the Youth Ranch and the men's homeless shelter.   I haven't really had the opportunity to grieve for my dad yet.  I felt obligated to make sure others were cared for that I didn't stop to take care of myself.  Now that I'm home I've had the opportunity to reflect on the last month.  Much of it seems like a blur and quite frankly, I can't believe my dad is gone.  He was such a great man and a good role model. 


One of my dad's legacies that will live on is the Eagle Rock display at the Museum of Idaho.  My brother made a wonderful blog post about my dad's contribution to that museum.  Check it out at Yogi's Den.

Life without dad will be different, but because of my faith and the values my parents instilled in me, I will be able to carry on. 

Dad's obituary.

Until I see you again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!