The blizzard of March 2017
Well, my favorite meteorologist was correct with his storm prediction. I woke up on Friday morning to a full blown blizzard. Irv had left very early in the morning for work so it was my duty to get out to the barn to feed the horses.
I knew it was going to be a challenge when just opening the door to get outside was a real chore. So I decided to drive the 100 yards to the barn. I got disoriented on my way out there, but finally found a fence line that I could follow back to the barn.
The winds were 75+ miles per hour, the snow was flying sideways, and I learned a lesson about always taking my cell phone out with me in these conditions even if I'm only going 100 yards. I felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder out on the prairie. :)
I knew there was absolutely no way I could make it into work in those conditions, and fortunately the highway into town was closed all day so I didn't have to feel too guilty about taking a snow day.
By noon the conditions started improving, in fact the sun came out and melted the couple inches of snow on the ground that didn't blow away.
I knew it was going to be a challenge when just opening the door to get outside was a real chore. So I decided to drive the 100 yards to the barn. I got disoriented on my way out there, but finally found a fence line that I could follow back to the barn.
The way back to the house was easier because I was able to follow our recently installed street light.
The winds were 75+ miles per hour, the snow was flying sideways, and I learned a lesson about always taking my cell phone out with me in these conditions even if I'm only going 100 yards. I felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder out on the prairie. :)
I knew there was absolutely no way I could make it into work in those conditions, and fortunately the highway into town was closed all day so I didn't have to feel too guilty about taking a snow day.
By noon the conditions started improving, in fact the sun came out and melted the couple inches of snow on the ground that didn't blow away.
The biggest damage we had was the new $$ cover we purchased to protect our new camper.
It was literally shredded by the wind.
We found parts of it in the garden. I'm sure the rest of it is somewhere in New Mexico since the wind was blowing from the north.
Things got blown around like crazy.
Some of the patio furniture was blown right off the deck and the grill cover is completely gone.
The water in the horse's trough was blown out and created a little ice skating rink for them.
The buds on the lilac bushes seemed to have survived, but there are a little black so the tips may have frozen. The saddest part is that our robin's nest blew away. She comes every year to hatch her babies in that nest and now it's gone.
My forsythias survived, but don't look very good.
As you can see we didn't even get a good snow cover out of it. It only stayed on the ground where there was something to catch it.
The fence line caught some of it, the rest of it is in New Mexico with everything else.
It was a nice relaxing day after my journey to the barn. I think everyone should have a snow day every now and then.
Comments
There is certainly lots more energy in the atmosphere. Oklahoma's idiot Senator (we have two idiots) said that Liberal Extremists are not giving up on global warming. I guess that I am a liberal extremist.