Lots of Water
This post is long overdue, but my life is crazy lately so here it finally is.
Last month we flew up to New York to visit our youngest daughter. We flew into Buffalo and she took the Amtrak train down from upstate New York to meet us.
Before making the drive north we had to visit Niagara Falls, a place I had always hoped to visit.
Let me just say that I thought the Falls were magnificent. An amazing amount of water flows over those falls. We learned about the crazies who have voluntarily gone over the falls and a young boy who survived going over the falls back in 1960 when the boat he was in had engine trouble up river.
We of course had to take a ride on the Maid of the Mist. It's what you do when you visit the Falls.
Niagara Falls was one more check off the bucket list, but unfortunately I came away with a "so-what" attitude.
Have you been there and if so, what did you think?
Last month we flew up to New York to visit our youngest daughter. We flew into Buffalo and she took the Amtrak train down from upstate New York to meet us.
Before making the drive north we had to visit Niagara Falls, a place I had always hoped to visit.
Let me just say that I thought the Falls were magnificent. An amazing amount of water flows over those falls. We learned about the crazies who have voluntarily gone over the falls and a young boy who survived going over the falls back in 1960 when the boat he was in had engine trouble up river.
We of course had to take a ride on the Maid of the Mist. It's what you do when you visit the Falls.
It was cold, windy, and very wet.
It was also Breast Cancer Awareness month so we got pink ponchos which for some reason I felt the need to bring all the way back to Colorado with me.
Luckily my camera survived the boat ride.
It was pretty cool to catch this rainbow.
We got up close and personal with the Falls. Is this really safe? If I were to go back again I'd probably forego the Maid of the Mist.
We only visited the U.S. side and I tried to keep my camera focused on the Falls.
It was very spectacular with the fall colors in the background.
I'm glad we visited, it was worth seeing, but I'll never go back again. The U.S. side looks directly over to Canada and this is the view.
Casinos, hotels, cheap tourist traps.
Everywhere we went in the park this is what we saw. I'm sure the view back from the Canadian side to the U.S. is equally horrendous. It's a shame.
I'm sorry, but it ruined it for me. This is a very unique place that should have been preserved for generations to come. This is a sacred place that has been ruined by commercialism. I like nature, I like to see things in their natural state so this just kind of turned my stomach. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Here's my favorite falls--the Lower Falls of Yellowstone. I'm sure there are thousands of people enjoying this view right now from various platforms and staircases, but do you see any of them? No, the beauty was preserved and respected.
Have you been there and if so, what did you think?
Comments