On the go
You may have noticed that I haven't blogged in a while.
Here's why.
I went to Vegas last week to attend the Farm Credit IT Symposium. The dominant theme was Cyber Security. It opened my eyes more than could ever want it to. There is so much going on in the cyber world that you can't even imagine.
It was me, a handful of other women and 170 men. Women, why are we allowing men to rule the IT world?
When you're the person charged with keeping the systems and data safe...it's nerve-wracking. I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and start thinking about the threats. I know it's stupid...I can't do anything about it in the middle of the night except that's when some of my best solutions pop into my mind.

Irv tagged along we me on this trip, but I think he was kind of bored while I was at my meetings. We did make it down to the strip one night where we each wasted $20 on the slots. I'm sorry, but I think gambling is zero fun and such a waste of money. I did get to play the "Ellen" slot machine. I sure wish I had that $20 back.
Then there's the stress of finding out which craft shows we've been accepted into.
Yes. Craft shows are a whole new world. You have to submit an application and photos of your products and booth. Then you send them in and they go through a jurying process to see if you're good enough. We were already accepted into one show on December 5th and now we're waiting to hear the verdict on the second show we applied to. We only want to sell at two shows so if we're not accepted to this one we'll have to find another option.
So what would you pay for one of these glasses? We want them to be affordable so they'll sell easy. I have an idea of what I'd pay for one, but I'd like to hear what others think.
A couple weeks ago I decided it would be a good idea to sign up for a Rock 'n Roll 10K in Denver on October 18th. We're not going to be able to participate in the Arizona Rock 'n Roll next year and it was such a great experience that I didn't want the Denver Rock 'n Roll to pass by without experiencing it also. Who cares that it's 5,000 feet higher than Arizona? The last time I did a 10K I went into it totally untrained and my muscles screamed at me the whole time. This time I decided I'd be somewhat trained which means two long distance workouts each week. When do I have time for this?
I decided to register before checking out the hotel situation in downtown Denver. Most every hotel is sold out or it's $300 per night. I'm not sure what I'm going to do since the race starts at 7:15 a.m. and these races are so popular that I'm sure there won't be any parking. I'll worry about that later.
Before the Rock 'n Roll we're going to New York to see Jillian for a few days. We're flying into Buffalo so we can visit Niagara Falls. Then we'll come back, I'll do the 10K, and then I'm headed to Wichita for another conference. Then maybe I can come home and rest. Wait...it'll be November by then and the holidays will be here (an Craft Shows). Maybe I can rest next year.
Today at work I had to give a 20 minute talk on cyber security and present my roadmap for the technology department for the next five years. Five years? Are you kidding me? I can't even foresee the next 6 months. Anyway when I start talking cyber security people just kind of glaze over. People, do you really not understand how important this is? Why am I the only one with passion about this topic? I just don't get it. :)
Today I also had a guy from Wichita come in to help with upgrading one of our systems. We also have another audit starting next week which is #6 for the year.
My job is turning out to be more than I bargained for. Now I know why they offered me such a nice paycheck to take it on. I wonder how much more I'd be earning if I were a man in this position...but that's a blog for another day.
So now it's about bedtime and I'm trying to finish varnishing the glasses I painted this weekend so I can start on this week's batch.
Time to go to sleep and do it all again tomorrow starting with a two mile workout at 5 a.m.
Truly blessed!
Here's why.
I went to Vegas last week to attend the Farm Credit IT Symposium. The dominant theme was Cyber Security. It opened my eyes more than could ever want it to. There is so much going on in the cyber world that you can't even imagine. It was me, a handful of other women and 170 men. Women, why are we allowing men to rule the IT world?

Irv tagged along we me on this trip, but I think he was kind of bored while I was at my meetings. We did make it down to the strip one night where we each wasted $20 on the slots. I'm sorry, but I think gambling is zero fun and such a waste of money. I did get to play the "Ellen" slot machine. I sure wish I had that $20 back.
Then I got back into town and had to work on my share of the wine glasses for the week. Mary and I have set a quota that we have to get done before craft show season starts. We're halfway there. I spent every spare minute this weekend painting glasses and only got 17 glasses done.
Then there's the stress of finding out which craft shows we've been accepted into.
Yes. Craft shows are a whole new world. You have to submit an application and photos of your products and booth. Then you send them in and they go through a jurying process to see if you're good enough. We were already accepted into one show on December 5th and now we're waiting to hear the verdict on the second show we applied to. We only want to sell at two shows so if we're not accepted to this one we'll have to find another option.
So what would you pay for one of these glasses? We want them to be affordable so they'll sell easy. I have an idea of what I'd pay for one, but I'd like to hear what others think.
I decided to register before checking out the hotel situation in downtown Denver. Most every hotel is sold out or it's $300 per night. I'm not sure what I'm going to do since the race starts at 7:15 a.m. and these races are so popular that I'm sure there won't be any parking. I'll worry about that later.
Before the Rock 'n Roll we're going to New York to see Jillian for a few days. We're flying into Buffalo so we can visit Niagara Falls. Then we'll come back, I'll do the 10K, and then I'm headed to Wichita for another conference. Then maybe I can come home and rest. Wait...it'll be November by then and the holidays will be here (an Craft Shows). Maybe I can rest next year.
Today at work I had to give a 20 minute talk on cyber security and present my roadmap for the technology department for the next five years. Five years? Are you kidding me? I can't even foresee the next 6 months. Anyway when I start talking cyber security people just kind of glaze over. People, do you really not understand how important this is? Why am I the only one with passion about this topic? I just don't get it. :)
Today I also had a guy from Wichita come in to help with upgrading one of our systems. We also have another audit starting next week which is #6 for the year.
My job is turning out to be more than I bargained for. Now I know why they offered me such a nice paycheck to take it on. I wonder how much more I'd be earning if I were a man in this position...but that's a blog for another day.
So now it's about bedtime and I'm trying to finish varnishing the glasses I painted this weekend so I can start on this week's batch.
Time to go to sleep and do it all again tomorrow starting with a two mile workout at 5 a.m.
Truly blessed!

Comments
Your new business is exciting, good luck! I'm thinking of crafty stuff also. I'm thinking about selling prints of my pics of Tulsa Landmarks in an square frame. Just a thought now.
I hate gambling also, especially slots or video poker. Give me a horse race any time but that is no fun any longer with machine tellers.
It looks like I'm going to miss my first Tulsa Run in over 20 years. My knee is still sore and locks up. I'm going to go see my doctor for a followup this week and we'll see where it goes. I love trail running but after cracked ribs in January and my knee now I am not sure that it is working for me.
Keep on going on your job, you can do it!!!!