A trip to the Row

One of my favorite places in the Jackson Hole area is Mormon Row.


Around 1890 the Mormon Church sent settlers from the Salt Lake Valley to this area in Jackson Hole.  They formed a community, dug irrigation ditches, and grew crops in what I would consider to be a harsh area.


 
This was John Moulton's gambrel style barn.

 
This is a pink stucco house that was built by John Moulton.  He built it to replace his log cabin.  No doubt that it was the envy of the community.  I saw a painting of this house in a restaurant we dined in and I can't get it out of my mind.  I might have to try it myself.

 
This, of course, is my favorite traveling partner. He lets me stop and take pictures whenever I ask.


The is the Thomas Moulton barn that was built sometime around 1910.  Have you seen it in pictures before?  I see it everywhere.  It's probably one of the most photographed barns anywhere.  This will definitely be the subject of a future painting of mine.


This is one of those irrigation ditches that the community built.  I'm not sure how it worked, but it must have been very ingenious to bring water to their crops.

I love this area, but I know how harsh it is in the winter.  I admire the people who lived in Mormon Row way back when.  I don' t think I could have done it.  I'm thankful it was added to National Register of Historic Places and will be maintained by the Park Service for future generations.

Unfortunately, the smoke from the forest fires in Washington and Oregon made for some very hazy skies and my photos didn't come out crisp and clear.  I guess I'll have to go back next year to try again.

So, have you visited Mormon Row and did you love it?

On a side note, I have to respond to a comment my brother made about a trip we took on the Teton tram when we were kids.

Yes, I remember that trip with Uncle Matt and the dad yelling for Brock to go get the binoculars.  I even took a picture of the cliff that I remember the kid having to run back to. 


I wonder what ever happened to Brock and his dad.  I wonder if either of them ever realized there was at least one family that remembers that day 40+ years later because of the dad's over the top behavior.

By the way, that tram is way different than the one we took up.  It was replaced several years ago by cars that can hold 100 people and their ski equipment.  They can shuttle 400 people per hour up to the top of the mountain.

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I love Mormon row. Now that I've developed my picture taking skills a little more I'd love to go back. I'd like to get there in the morning also so the barns are not in shadow like they were last time I went.

That Brock story is a family classic.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!