Tumblin' Tumbleweeds

Last week you may have seen a story on the national news about the tumbleweeds here in Colorado.  Well, it's true.  The rain we had last fall that resulted in all the flooding our state endured also produced an abundance of weeds.  Now all those weeks have become tumbleweeds that blow around  crazy when the wind blows which is almost daily.

Irv and I took the dogs on a walk around our pasture last week and we got to see our southern boundary fences up close.  We have our own collection of tumbleweeds on every fence line.


I'm not quite sure what to do about this mess.  I guess we could pull them off our fence, but then what do we do with them?  The county budgets in this area have taken a huge hit because of tumbleweed cleanup.  Snow plows have been used to get them off the roads.  Some counties are baling them; others are shredding them.  What a mess!


I guess for now we'll just leave them where they are and see what happens.  They're a big fire hazard so I don't like them.


We also got a look at our prairie dog colony.  It's a never ending problem.






Cody likes chasing after the prairie dogs.  He's never even gotten close to catching one--hope it stays that way.


Our neighbor's horses had to come over and check out what we were doing.  Doesn't he have beautiful face markings?


Our own horses were a little leery about why we were in their pasture.  I think they were expecting a bridle and saddle to come out and they'd actually have to work for their dinner.  As you can see in these pictures, forage in the high plains of Colorado is a little sparse so we have to feed our critters hay year-round.







Jasper tried to invite himself into the barn to have an early dinner.  No such luck mister!




Is there anything more gentle than a horse's eye?  I love these guys!





As I finished out my 10,000 steps for the day, the dogs and Irv waited for me on the front porch.  Slackers!







Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
What a mess. Way back when before you came along in Coyote we used to get huge stacks of tumbleweeds at the Ranger Station.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!