Tabitha
It has been a rough couple days. I had to say a forever goodbye to one of my best friends.
Tabitha.
Yes, she's a cat, but she's been my companion every day for the last 18 years. This precious kitty was a gift for Jillian when we moved to Wisconsin back in 1996. We got her from a local pet store that rescued kitties. Tabitha was very social even as a kitten. Although the other kittens were caged, Tabitha was allowed to roam freely around the store. The people who worked there were glad Tabitha found her "forever" home, but at the same time they were sad to see her go.
Tabitha loved people and she was very patient. I wish I had time to find some of the pictures from Tabitha's youth. Jillian used to dress her up in doll clothes and push her around in her doll stroller. We used to camouflage Tabitha in the midst of all Jillian's stuffed animals and she would just allow it.
She had a feisty side too. She used to stalk Jillian and then attack the back of Jillian's legs as she tried to escape up the steps. She also had both our dogs in check at all times. My big Lab and Border Collie would walk to the other side of the room to avoid Tabitha. Tabitha loved people and would show affection and purr as long as you didn't touch her "flab". My dad learned this the hard way when he accidentally touched her flab a couple years ago at Christmas and Tabitha bit him. He got a really bad infection that required a visit to the urgent care and antibiotics. My dad now calls her Fang.
Although Tabitha was officially Jillian's cat, it was me who she bonded with. Up until a year ago or so Tabitha slept with me, or more accurately on top of my head. When she could no longer jump up on our bed I would pick her up and put her on her pillow for the night. However, last weekend she decided to go back to her favorite position on top of my head for a Saturday afternoon nap when I wasn't feeling so great. Luckily Irv captured some photos of her and although I wouldn't normally post a picture of myself sleeping, I think it's okay this time. If I had only known this would be the last time she slept on my head.
I know a lot of people will think she's only a cat. Well, she was not only a cat, she was a member of our family. She went down hill really fast and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and a bad bladder infection in the last couple weeks. We tried everything to save her and we thought she was on the mend, but on Monday night something happened and I knew it was time. Her eyes told me she was ready and in the back of my mind I knew I was ready too. Irv met me at the vet's office and we were with her until the end. It was peaceful and she was gone very quickly. As the vet gave her the injection she told Tabitha that she could go be with Zima now. (Zima is Dana's cat who lived with us for the last few years and passed away just a few months ago.) I quickly told her that those two cats were never buddies so she's probably rather go off by herself and not be with Zima. It made us all laugh which is what we needed.
Tabitha and I had lots of conversations, she was a very vocal kitty and always had something to say. Here's the last video I took of her just a couple days ago.
I can't believe she's gone.
Grief is the price of love. Tabitha, you were well loved.
I miss you sweet kitty.
Tabitha.
Yes, she's a cat, but she's been my companion every day for the last 18 years. This precious kitty was a gift for Jillian when we moved to Wisconsin back in 1996. We got her from a local pet store that rescued kitties. Tabitha was very social even as a kitten. Although the other kittens were caged, Tabitha was allowed to roam freely around the store. The people who worked there were glad Tabitha found her "forever" home, but at the same time they were sad to see her go.
Tabitha loved people and she was very patient. I wish I had time to find some of the pictures from Tabitha's youth. Jillian used to dress her up in doll clothes and push her around in her doll stroller. We used to camouflage Tabitha in the midst of all Jillian's stuffed animals and she would just allow it.
She had a feisty side too. She used to stalk Jillian and then attack the back of Jillian's legs as she tried to escape up the steps. She also had both our dogs in check at all times. My big Lab and Border Collie would walk to the other side of the room to avoid Tabitha. Tabitha loved people and would show affection and purr as long as you didn't touch her "flab". My dad learned this the hard way when he accidentally touched her flab a couple years ago at Christmas and Tabitha bit him. He got a really bad infection that required a visit to the urgent care and antibiotics. My dad now calls her Fang.
Although Tabitha was officially Jillian's cat, it was me who she bonded with. Up until a year ago or so Tabitha slept with me, or more accurately on top of my head. When she could no longer jump up on our bed I would pick her up and put her on her pillow for the night. However, last weekend she decided to go back to her favorite position on top of my head for a Saturday afternoon nap when I wasn't feeling so great. Luckily Irv captured some photos of her and although I wouldn't normally post a picture of myself sleeping, I think it's okay this time. If I had only known this would be the last time she slept on my head.
I know a lot of people will think she's only a cat. Well, she was not only a cat, she was a member of our family. She went down hill really fast and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and a bad bladder infection in the last couple weeks. We tried everything to save her and we thought she was on the mend, but on Monday night something happened and I knew it was time. Her eyes told me she was ready and in the back of my mind I knew I was ready too. Irv met me at the vet's office and we were with her until the end. It was peaceful and she was gone very quickly. As the vet gave her the injection she told Tabitha that she could go be with Zima now. (Zima is Dana's cat who lived with us for the last few years and passed away just a few months ago.) I quickly told her that those two cats were never buddies so she's probably rather go off by herself and not be with Zima. It made us all laugh which is what we needed.
Tabitha and I had lots of conversations, she was a very vocal kitty and always had something to say. Here's the last video I took of her just a couple days ago.
I can't believe she's gone.
Grief is the price of love. Tabitha, you were well loved.
I miss you sweet kitty.

Comments