Rodeo time!

We made our annual trek to the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo last night.  This year instead of eating junk food at the rodeo, we started at one of my favorite places--Pizzeria Rustica.

You can't get food like this at the rodeo.  Although I will admit that I missed the junk food at the rodeo.  I was very proud of myself for making through the whole night without a bag of kettle corn.







This year Mr. Beans wasn't the only one to ride the bull.  His mom gave it a try too.  There was a little debate about which one did better.  Mary was the winner at first because she only used one hand, then Mr. Beans went back for a second try and only used one hand.  I think it was a tie.

Rodeo fans are the most patriotic people on earth.  All of the proceeds from the rodeo are donated to the military and their families.  There were two young ladies at the rodeo whose dad is a wounded warrior and mom is a blackhawk pilot in Afghanistan.  They surprised these two girls with a visit from mom.  If you think the homecomings are emotional on TV, you should see one in person...heart breaking.

There was an injury during the wild cow milking.  It reaffirmed Irv's decision to retire from that sport after they were the champions two years ago.  The announcer called for the EMTs when this guy was injured, but they never showed up.  The guy was finally able to get up and walk out on his own and we saw the ambulance come and take him away.  Where was the medical staff?  I always thought a rodeo would have EMTs and an ambulance onsite.

The rodeo seemed smaller this year.  Maybe the fire kept the cowboys and cowgirls away.  Justin McDaniels was there which is pretty cool.  Irv and I decided to skip the NFR in Vegas this year since we've been to Alaska and are going to Hawaii in October, but now I'm not so sure.  I love rodeo, especially the NFR!  Hmmm....maybe a quick weekend trip to Vegas in early December wouldn't be so bad. 



It was a fun night, but warm night, with the family.  Usually when the sun goes down it is quite chilly at the rodeo.  This year was in the 80s when the rodeo ended.  Our seats were so close together than we were sweating on each other.  Gross!  Irv wanted to wear shorts, but I made his wear the appropriate apparel for a rodeo.  Irv, you were right--next year we'll all wear shorts (which seems very un-rodeo like.)  I can't believe that I just admitted Irv was right about something.

Hopefully next year Dana and Adam can join us.

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I think pizza is great rodeo food.

Sounds like Irv finally made a good decision and acknowledged his elderly status in retiring.

Nice pics of everyone.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!