20-5-3 Rule

One of my favorite things to do is to go for a hike surrounded by trees and running water.


We live on the high desert of Colorado so to find trees and water we have to drive at least 25 minutes or so.


Our go to place is the regional trail at the closest County Park.  It's also the park where I volunteer at one of the Nature Centers.


It's not especially beautiful this time of year.  It won't be long until everything starts turning green and the blue herons return.


Aspen is always up for a quick dip in the creek.


At the nature center I volunteer for they always have interesting articles and stories to help keep the volunteers motivated.  One I read recently was especially interesting.  I've always known that being outdoors make me feel better--mentally and physically.

There was a study done that says 20 minutes 3 times a week in nature will lower your body's primary stress hormone, cortisol.  It should be a stroll and not a workout and disconnecting from other interactions like your phone or conversations does the most for lowering stress.  Five hours a month in the outdoors helps replenish your brain's resources and brings a sense of calm.  An extended stay in nature of 3-4 days also reduces stress.  It's called the 20-5-3 rule.  20  minutes outdoors 3 times per week, 5 hours per month in a semiwild location, and 3 days per year in the wilderness.

Here's a link to one of many articles if found about this study.  I'd never heard about it before.

I don't know about you, but I'm booking a campground stay at my favorite remote forest service campground in Colorado right now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!