The big event - flying women!

Finally it was time for the big event!  The team finals for the women's gymnastics.


Bercy Arena was about a 10 minute walk from the train station (that's why people are going in the opposite direction with suitcases).  It was hot outside and they funneled everyone around to the fair side of the arena.


We were all decked out in our USA gear (yes, I felt like a Trumper).  We grabbed some cold drinks and they got to meet on to the Phrygees pronounced Free-jes which is one of the hats like Napoleon wore.


We had fabulous seats on the aisle above the beam.  


Before long the teams came out for their introduction.  Then all the teams came out onto the floor and were greeted with thunderous applause.  All the teams except for one that is---China.  Their reception was very cold.  I cheered for them because I don't believe athletes should be accountable for the actions of politicians (yes, I am woke).

The first rotation for the US was on the vault.  Fly Simone, fly!


This was my first ever gymnastics meet.  All four events are going on at the same time so it's hard to know what to watch.  About is Suni Lee on the bars.



Here's Suni on the beam.  How, oh how do they do this?  It's 4 inches wide!


Then it was Simone's turn.  Let's face the facts.  The majority of the crowd in the arena was American and we were there to cheer on the whole team, but the GOAT was the main attraction.


Rebecca Andrade from Brazil is Simone's main competition.  She was amazing!  I wish I would have captured video of her floor routine which won her an individual gold a couple days later.  After Americans I'd say Brazil has the second most fans in the arena.


Guess what the very last event was and who the last competitor was--Simone on floor.  She has the most difficult first pass in the world.  We're pretty sure the organizers planned it that way so she'd bring down the house.  It wasn't until I got home and watched the replay on TV that I realized she had stepped out of bounds a couple times.  I also hadn't realized she was competing with an injury.  There's something really nice about not having the commentators there to point out each and every 1/10th deduction that these athletes get.


Here are the final team results.  USA was expected to win of course.  Italy and Brazil were thrilled with their placings too!


Our ladies were so much fun to watch in their celebration.



Then it was time to award the medals.


There's something so deeply moving about watching your country win a gold medal!  Tears were streaming down my face.


Thank you ladies for one of the most amazing experiences of my life!

 

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Totally jealous. You got to see history in the making.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!