Seine River: Vernon and Giverny
The next day was Claude Monet and his Giverny Gardens and home. We started the day with a watercolor painting class.
A local artist and tour guide boarded the ship and walked us through a small watercolor painting. She was also selling some of her works for only 10 Euro. After class I ran back to the cabin to get some cash, but by the time I returned she had packed up her stuff and left. Darn...I always like to support local artists.
Irv chose the beginner painting and did a pretty good job.
I went for the "more advanced" painting and took it way too seriously.
She rushed along pretty good and I'm an oil painter that doesn't even know how to paint fast. Came out okay though.
After lunch the ship docked in the village of Vernon.
From here we boarded motor coaches for the quick drive to Giverny.
There are two sections of Monet's garden--the Japanese inspired water garden and the flower garden in front of his house.
I did a quick blog post about Giverny a few days ago so I won't repeat, but I will post all my beautiful pictures.
I think both of us could have stayed there for hours just taking pictures, but when you're with a group time is limited.
Then we moved into the flower garden.
Our tour guide had worked in the gardens for a couple seasons. She said that after the gardens close in October the gardeners come through and dig up all the plants and bulbs.
In fact, they make three passes to make sure nothing is missed.
In December, the master gardener lays out 300,000 bulbs in a pattern and each gardeners is responsible for planting their section as he indicates.
Sounds like back breaking work, but apparently there are lots of interns from around the world who vie for a gardener position. Monet didn't like things too organized so that's why you see a mish mash of flowers.
It was without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. I will dream about it for the rest of my days (or until my memory is gone).
Claude Monet lived in this house for 43 years from 1883 to 1926. He expanded it on both ends to its current length of 40 meters and only 5 meters deep.
Taking a break.
The first room we entered was his studio. Those are only replicas on the walls. Yes, I could be inspired and work in that studio.
Then it was upstairs to Claude's bedroom where he died in this simple bed on December 5, 1926. All the furnishings and decor are original to the house.
He had a beautiful view out of his window.
This was his wife's, Alice, bedroom. It was customary for upper middle class people to have separate rooms, but these two rooms were connected through a bathroom.
Another bedroom.
Then down the staircase to a very yellow dining room painted in a couple different shades of yellow. Claude chose all the colors in the house and went by what he liked rather than what was in style.
The dining room is connected to the blue kitchen.
Claude chose the blue to complement the yellow dining room.
I loved everything about Monet's garden and house. I would feel so comfortable and cozy living in the oasis he made for himself and his family. Monet was a very successful and wealthy artist earning the equivalent of millions of dollars per year with his artwork. He is the founder of impressionism which is my favorite style of painting.
What a perfect day and one of the highlights of our trip! Now, which of those photos should I replicate with my own version of painting?





















Comments