Zoo, Dogs, and Vegan Cooking

What is spring break without a trip to the zoo?  The day after Dana, Adam, and Miss G went home we took the nieces and baby Dixie to the zoo. 


One of the best thing about our zoo is that you can purchase lettuce and feed it to the giraffes.  They are really friendly and will even let you pet them.


Here's Miss Dixie with the baby hippo in the background.  It was a brisk 41 degrees and slightly windy.  Her parents must be raising her to be tough because I had my winter coat, hat, and gloves on, but she didn't even have a jacket.  Her moms didn't either.


Our new African exhibit lets you walk among the penguins.  They're so adorable that I'd like to bring one home.


One of the mountain lions was enjoying the sunshine.


Dixie liked getting out of the stroller and walking with mama and Uncle Irvin.


It was nice being inside the hippo exhibit to warm up a bit.


Of course I have to show you some puppy pictures since National Puppy Day was this week.  The new pup gets chew bones to hopefully keep her from chewing on things like shoes.  Of course it wouldn't be fair if Aspen got one and Maisy didn't.


Aspen gets very comfortable when she's sleeping.


I did lots of vegan cooking this week because one of the nieces is a strict vegan.  I think I'm the only aunt that goes the extra mile for her when she visits and I made the decision that all of us could eat vegan while she was here.  It takes a lot of slicing, dicing, and chopping of the veggies.  I made vegan chili one evening and then it was time for vegan enchiladas.


After sautéing the veggies I added them to the black bean mixture that was the filling for the enchiladas.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a shot of the finished product. You know, both meals were really good and you don't really miss the meat.  Today I'm making vegan carne asada tacos using portobello mushrooms.  I think they'll be fantastic.  (Irv is getting some chicken in his.)


Sometimes these two are best friends...mainly when the hoomans aren't looking.


This week in painting class I got the rest of the canvas covered in paint.  Next time I'll start on the detail.  The only thing that is really in focus is that middle stalk of grass and the blue butterfly.  Everything else is out of focus which is a new technique I'm learning.

I ordered lots of painting supplies for my time in Yellowstone along with prints of photos I want to paint while I'm there.  Best news...my brother sent me the pic of his golden bison!  I can't wait to start that one!

Have a good weekend!



Comments

polcat24 said…
And a note that anyone that says a baby is hard to take care of has never had a new puppy. I'm exhausted!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!