Christmas 2022

It's been awhile since I posted about anything other than our European adventures.  It's a new year so I'm going to try to get back into the blogging habit.  First, I need to finish off 2022.


For Christmas we decided to head to the Valley of the Sun.  Our flight there was uneventful on Southwest Airlines.  The champagne always flows freely at the Watts house on a holiday.

I didn't take many pictures over the holidays maybe because I was feeling a little defeated because I'm no longer the cat's meow when it comes to my favorite granddaughter.  I'm usually the first person she hugs, but this time I was #3 behind Auntie Mary and Pappy.  I guess I'm chopped liver now.  I knew this day would come but I thought I'd have two more years of being the favorite.


Some of our family are currently serving overseas in the military so we could only be with them virtually.  Here's the Germany crew in the matching PJs I sent them (including Diesel).


The festivities started with the Holiday Show at the ice rink.  My son-in-law has been practicing for months to do a routine with Miss G.  Sometimes they even got up at 5:00 a.m. to head to the rink for practice before school.  What a great dad!  I was smiling from ear to ear and was so proud during the entire performance.


When I visit my kids for a holiday I always try to stay out of the menu planning so they can practice their own holiday traditions.  Several years ago we started a tradition of having chili for Christmas Eve dinner.  I was touched when Dana starting putting the ingredients in the crockpot for a chili dinner.  Then Jillian texted me a picture of the chili she had prepared for her and Brian.  It made my heart so happy to know this tradition has meant something to my kids.  


We decided to have a painting party.  I got to choose the painting for the group and then ran to Hobby Lobby for supplies.  We aren't a family that just likes to sit around and do nothing.


First step was to get the background on and let it dry.  Looks like there's something going on in the background.  Mary brought her ring light along to make TikTok's with Miss G.  I'm pretty sure that's why Auntie Mary was the favorite this trip.  


Then it was time for an outdoor movie using Adam's rear projector.  There's Mary stealing all the snuggles again.


Can you imagine sitting outside at Christmas watching a movie?  I was a little cold and dozed off for a while.

Then the party was paused because we all had to get ready for Santa's arrival.


We got up on Christmas morning and opened our gifts.  I got everything I ever wanted plus more.  Irv got a pile of gift cards because he never wants anything.  The highlight of the day was the holiday cocktail competition between the ladies.  I won the draw and elected to go first.


My submission was a cranberry margarita.  My presentation was definitely the most elegant, but I admit the drink itself was missing a little something...needed more tequila I think.  We're a very competitive family so everything is judged.  Miss G didn't like the virgin version of my drink at all so I lost quite a few points from her.


In-between rounds we enjoyed the outdoor fireplace although it was shirt sleeve weather in Arizona.


Mary was up next with her Grinch concoction.  It was a nice presentation, but nowhere near as elegant as mine.


Dana came next with her winter land presentation.  Her drink was simple and elegant and I will admit it tasted the best.


She made some fancy ice cubes with pomegranate juice, cranberries, rosemary, and orange.  This mixed with champagne was delicious.


Then it was time for the judges to tally their scoresheets and declare a winner.  I just have one thing to say--I was robbed!  Congratulations to the champion and reserve champions.


Then  it was time to resume the painting party and finish all these drinks!


Mary enjoying one of her holiday gifts or maybe she had too much holiday cheer, I'm not sure which.


Dana got a beauty makeover for the day.


Then it was time for the traditional holiday feast with all the trimmings.  Dana sets a beautiful table with her Great Grandma Verna's China.   We love the tradition of having the holiday crackers since Adam joined the family.  Adam gave me a lesson on how to properly place the silverware Australian style.


After dinner Adam used one of his new gifts to smoke some drinks.  He smoked either Bourbon or Whiskey, either way it was gross.  Sorry Adam.


More painting after dinner.


Everyone follows directions very well except for Irv, he went rogue on his.  I think they all came out exceptionally well.


The next day we were invited to our first ever boxing day party hosted by a British friend of Dana and Adam.  They made some delicious East Indian food.  I love Indian food, but have never gone to an Indian restaurant because I wouldn't know what to order.  I have to remember Butter Chicken.  I captured a beautiful sunset from their backyard.

After getting home I checked Southwest's app and learned that our flight for the following day was cancelled.  I quickly got on my phone and reserved a car to drive home since Southwest said the entire week was going to be a mess so flying home wasn't going to be possible.  Never did I receive a text or email saying from Southwest saying our flight was canceled.  Anyway, Dana drove Irv to the airport where they waited in line for close to three hours to pick up the rental.

Thankfully we lived in a nearby state and could easily make the 12 hour drive home.  If we had lived across the country it would have been a terrible situation.  I submitted a request for a refund from Southwest and have since heard that they will refund our flights and they're going to reimburse us for the rental car too.  It's going to take up to three months to receive those refunds, but that's better than just getting credit with them.  In addition they gave us 25,000 reward miles each which is equivalent to about $300.  I'm satisfied with their response and the resolution.

It was a wonderful holiday!  How was yours?


Comments

polcat24 said…
I think we can all agree that my painting is the best!!
Jillian said…
Looks like so much fun!
Dana of Oz said…
It was a fun Christmas!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!