Arabs, Hiking, and Pioneer Woman
Many moons ago I used to coach some 4-H hippology teams in our county. When I retired about 15 years ago I handed the reins over to my assistant coach and this year she had a team qualify for the national competition. Her and I got together a couple months ago because she wanted to pick my brain on how to prepare a team for nationals.
She mentioned that she was taking the team to the U.S. Arabian Nationals in Tulsa at the end of October. I was long overdue for a visit to see my brothers so I asked if Irv and I could tag along.
We spent time at the arena with the team while they "worked out" for the horse judging contest.
Jonathan, Jackie, and I have been together for over 20 years. They are like my family. Unlike me they have continued to coach all these years.
We moved between the arenas to watch the performance and halter classes.
There's nothing like an Arabian horse show. The spectators whoop and holler and show their appreciation to the all the horses, but especially the national champions. I love the environment!
On a beautiful fall afternoon my brother asked us to go on hike to his beloved Turkey Mountain. Signs like this make you think twice about whether or not this is a good decision.
My brother loves his mountain and is really informed about its history and current use.
I loved all the rock formations and fall colors.
There's nothing better than a trail shot especially when the trails are so well maintained.
Irv even found a geocache. I wanted to refer him back to that sign about the venomous snakes.
There was even a lake named Pepsi Lake with a beautiful reflection.
We even encountered Sasquatch along the way. This was the longest hike I've been on in a while, about 4.5 miles. I was worn out, but it made me realize I need to get out on the trails more.
Then it was back to the show to see what was going on there. They give out just a few awards during the show and this was taken near the end of the show.
Friday morning was the judging contest. All of us coaches, retired and current, love a judging contest.
At the awards breakfast the next morning we learned just how well the team had done.
National champions in hippology and third place in judging. All the teams from Colorado dominated the event!
On Saturday morning we made the drive to Pawhuska to visit the Pioneer Woman's Mercantile. Little did we know that it was her annual sidewalk sale.
It was packed with fellow Pioneer Woman enthusiasts.
Needless to say I scored a lot of great deals! I also got lectured about how the election was stolen in 2020 and how kids aren't being taught the truth in school anymore, blah, blah, blah by this really nice lady who was in line behind me (or so I thought). We were having a great conversation until she asked where I was from and then the lecture started. She assumed I was a liberal (correct) and she assumed I would listen to her rant. I just turned my back and let her go on. Isn't it more important to be kind, decent, inclusive humans rather than let politics dictate how you treat others especially strangers?
I enjoyed my visit with LJ much more.
Saturday night at the horse show is the best night because it's the finals. A little Western Pleasure here.
My favorite is the Native Costume class. It always gets the crowd going.
The highlight of the night are always the park horses or Country English Pleasure. It did not disappoint.
Thank you Tulsa for hosting another year of this fantastic show and thank you Alan for introducing us to your mountain!



















Comments
I enjoyed the hike with you.
The horse show was great.