Family Time

We just finished our last road trip of the year and it was a good one.  This year we did road trips to Mesa, Santa Fe, Georgia, North Carolina, South Dakota and Oklahoma.  All in all I think we put about 7,500 miles on the car.  

It had been a year and a half since I'd last seen my brothers, sister-in-law and nephew so we combined a visit to see them with the National Arabian Horse Show (more on the show in a later post).


Attending the horse show was great, but spending time with family is what it's all about.  Our family has always been spread out all over the country and at times, the world so when I have an opportunity to see them it fills my heart with love and joy.


My nephew, Logan, is always so polite and happy even when his old aunt and uncle interrupt his game time.  He's going to school for his paralegal certificate and it's going well.


My sister-in-law, Heather, is always the fun one.  She's so outgoing and friendly and attracts people to her.  Those of us who are introverts love hanging out with these type of people.  And did I mention she's the best cook ever?  My hubby, Irv, is very similar to Heather.  Neither of them has ever met a stranger and can start conversations with anyone, anywhere.


When my oldest brother, Bob, got really sick three years ago the three of us siblings really learned what family is.  We didn't hesitate to go to Memphis for weeks and weeks while he was in the hospital and rehab.  It was a distressing time and I hate to think what would have happened if we weren't able to be there for him or if the Covid pandemic was going on while he was sick.  When he was stable enough we had him moved to Tulsa where he faced another set of medical challenges.  He now lives in an assisted living facility close to my other brother's house and is doing much better although his life was forever changed by his illness.  He has handled these changes better than I ever could have.

Today I learned that November is National Caregiver's Month.  I can't begin to express my gratitude to my brother, Alan, for constantly being there for Bob.  I feel guilty about not living closer so I could help out.  The sibling connection is stronger now than ever.  I'm so fortunate to have my brothers.


We had to get a family shot that included the non-bloods (old family joke).  Love your family while you can folks because they won't always be there.


Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
It was a great visit. I think Bob really liked us all being there at his residence. And the horse show was wonderful.

You are right, family is about the most important thing there is.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!