Paying my respects

Recently I went on a drive lately to Dubois, Idaho to visit my parents before I leave Yellowstone for the season.


My drive took me down a quiet back country road that is part dirt, but mostly somewhat paved.  On the hour and a half drive I passed one other vehicle and a huge herd of sheep being driven down the road by a couple cowboys (or is it shepherds if they're sheep?).  The colors are changing in the high country. I thought the aspens in the midst of all the sagebrush was beautiful.


I stopped at a historical marker that included this nice scene.  Apparently this route is part of the Nez Pierce Trail.  The marker also talked about Clark County and Dubois, Idaho.  Apparently a train route went through the area and a town was formed named Dry Creek.  In 1897 Dry Creek was renamed Dubois after Fred T. Dubois, an early U.S. Marshall and U.S. Senator.  I learned something new.


Lots of sagebrush meadows leading into the foothills.


After about an hour and a half I reached the cemetery.  The only bad part was that the sprinklers were on so my visit was very short and timed with the rotating sprinklers. 


My parents are buried in the "new" part of the cemetery where there aren't any trees.  My mom always wanted to be beneath the trees, but it just wasn't possible.  I could see evidence of large machinery and noticed that a lot of trees have been removed from the old part of the cemetery since I was last here.  


I also stopped to pay respect to other relatives.  My beloved Uncle Matt.


My grandmother who I never met.


My grandfather who I also never met.


And of course my beloved Aunt Lois. Times spent on the Sullivan Ranch were some of the best of my life.  She was a great cook and an even better human being.  I had great times growing up there and my kids also got to have those experiences during their youth.


There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss my mom and dad. My dad would be tickled to know I'm wearing the green and gray of the Park Service.  My mom would be in love with her great grandkids.  These two were great parents who were always kind and thoughtful and allowed my brothers and I to just be their kids all the way to the end.  I'll always be grateful to them for that gift.







Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
It's amazing how young they look in that pic. Dad was able to retire early enough to where they could really do a lot before they got older.

I love that cemetery. Lots of good people buried there.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!