A new week

 Well, yesterday was the day.

My baby girl youngest daughter, her husband, dog and cat left for their tour of duty in Germany.   

(I refuse to refer to my daughters as my baby girls, but that's probably because I'm a girl Mom and not a boy mom.  I know boy moms who refer to their adult sons as their babies even when they're 60 years old.  I always expected my daughters to be strong, brave, and independent woman and that's exactly what they've become.  Of course, this conversation is for another blog post.)


As a mom it's hard to see your kids move across the ocean especially during a pandemic.  This is my second daughter who has lived overseas.  My eldest daughter moved to Australia for four years and came home with a wonderful guy as her husband.  As much as I will miss them, I'm so excited for their upcoming adventures.  There's nothing better than living in a foreign country, learning new cultures, meeting people who are different from themselves to become well rounded, kind, empathetic people.  

I was lucky enough to live in Germany for three years and it was the best experience of my life.  I can't wait to visit them when the world opens back up. (The above photo is a shot of my parents chipping away at the Berlin wall when they came for a visit.)

So, in other news, my foot is healing nicely.  I can walk about three miles before it starts hurting.  Complete recovery could take up to three months.  Until then I have to walk on flat surfaces so I won't be hitting the trails anytime soon.  Luckily I live on the high plains of Colorado where it's nice and flat.

On the other hand, I went for an MRI on my knee yesterday.  Way back in June I twisted it pretty good and it was swollen for most of the summer.  It was still useful so I didn't think there was any big hurry to get it checked out especially when I lived two hours from any medical facility.

When I got home in October I went to my doctor who referred me for an MRI.  It took nearly two months to get approval for that MRI from my insurance company and for the imaging center to get reports from the doctors who put coils in my abdomen and clips in my feet several years ago.  Finally, everything was set and I got the scan.  Just in time too because today they closed the MRI machine down for three weeks because of short staffing.  It's a rough time to get some of these other medical procedures taken care of when the health care system is so stressed due to Covid.

Results came in this morning and I have a torn meniscus.

Anyway, I've been referred to a knee specialist so the waiting game begins again.  I'll be interested to see what they suggest.  I'm not really a fan of surgery, but I've rested the knee for the most part of six months and it's not gotten any better.

It sucks to get old.  How am I going to be that 80 year old woman who runs her first marathon is my feet and knees don't hold up?

Oh well, after this crazy year I'm glad to be healthy.  284,000 of our fellow citizens haven't been so lucky.

Wear your mask and keep your distance!  Try to care about other people and not just yourselves.

Comments

polcat24 said…
I'm not surprised it's a torn miniscus, i could hear it pop every once in awhile.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
First the knees then the rest Ellen. Sorry, I can't wait to see you run your first Marathon. I've already run my first so the pressure is off of me.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!