Time to go home

On our last day in Scotland we did some last minute sight seeing, shopping and eating.


We said goodbye to our wonderful flat that had this private garden.


I love the reflection.  We met some people who live in the building and they said there's a pair of otters that lives out here, but we weren't lucky enough to see them.


I loved this building and wondered about all that it has seen over the centuries.


When you live in the high desert of Colorado you really appreciate the greenery of Scotland.


The rock building is so historical, but the inside is modern and clean.


I'm pretty sure everything inside came from Ikea (we did see an Ikea in the outskirts of Edinburgh).


Shiloh got his own space which always makes a teenager happy.


I love Scotland!


And I love this young man!


We loaded the luggage in the car and then took off on foot for one last visit to the City Center.
 

There was a little geocaching done along the way.


I just enjoyed the scenery and taking photos.


This is the Sir Walter Scott Memorial.  It's huge, you can actually walk up the stairs to the top, but we all decided it would be to claustrophobic (plus our feet were exhausted by the last day).



I talked the boys into a quick stop at the Scottish National Gallery only for the purpose of visiting this painting of a stag that dominates the gallery.  I had seen it during our first visit here two years ago and was thrilled to see it again. (I did sneak in a quick trip to the impressionist room too.)


Here's a photo of the National Gallery.  It is under renovation or expansion or maybe both.


Then it was time for breakfast so we went all out and ordered the full Scottish Breakfast.  That's Haggis in the upper right corner (if you don't know what Haggis is, I'll let you look it up).  It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  I really don't understand the beans for breakfast.


A beautiful shot of the open space by the National Gallery and Scott Memorial.


A final view of the castle on the hill.


There are those bleachers again.




Amazing architecture wherever you look. 


When we made our way to the Royal Mile you can see how packed it is.  We took a tour of the Edinburgh underground which shows what living in Edinburgh was like.  No photos were allowed, but it was very interesting how the wealthy and poor lived in the old city.  How the plague was handled to how the sewage was disposed of.  I highly recommend the Mary's Close tour if you're ever there.



We took an evening flight back to Heathrow, spent the night in a nearby hotel and then got up bright and early for our return flight to Denver.  I think we were all ready to go home.  We walked about 130,000 steps during our visit which for me is approximately 60 miles.  My feet were ready for a break!





Comments

polcat24 said…
Yes, the full breakfast was delicious, liked it all except the Haggis I could of done without. And the geocaching took us a little out of the way but added a noticeable amount to our walk.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!