Jenny Lake Hike

Now that I've completed my blog posts about our Europe trip, I can start on some of our other adventures from this summer.  I'm about a month behind in my posts.


We spent a week at our timeshare in Jackson Hole last month.  On one of those days we decided to hike around Jenny Lake in the Grand Teton National Park.


As I now know, it would have been good to read the trail description before just heading out.  We knew it was about 7.7 miles around the lake which should have been no big deal.


We chose to travel around the lake in a clockwise direction.  Big mistake!  Now I know that traveling in a counter clockwise direction is mostly flat, whereas the direction we chose was anything by flat.


The trail used to follow the shoreline, but they are reforesting that trail and the new trail goes up, up, up--about 728 foot elevation gain.  That normally wouldn't be problem, but when you hike with Irv you sleep in and don't get started until the middle of the day when it's the hottest.  This area was having unprecedented heat that week so it was about 90 degrees when we hit the trail (I like to be on the trail by 7:00 a.m. when it's cool.)


We had plenty of water with us, but the trail was mostly un-forested because of a fire years ago so we were in the direct sun most of the time.  Since I've become a native Coloradan anything above 70 degrees is hot.  My body did not respond well to the heat and the climb so there were lots of breaks.  Plus once you've had a pulmonary embolism, breathing isn't quite so easy at that elevation either.  (I know, lots of excuses.)


Here's my artsy shot of the day--moss on the trees.


The never-ending trail.


Finally, we crossed the stream.  We were getting close to the boat dock.


Signs of life.


Of course Irv just trudges along patiently waiting for his wife.

We only made it halfway around and then we decided to take the boat back.  Oh well, four miles is better than zero miles.

I felt like such a failure after this hike.  I was in the best condition of my life when I left Yellowstone last year.  A summer of not hiking everyday has certainly taken its toll.  Oh well, at least I'm out there giving it a try and what could be a more beautiful setting that at the base of the Tetons.

Happy hiking!

Comments

polcat24 said…
Yep, it was pretty hot and miserable. But any time I get to spend with Ellen is good time.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Jenny Lake is a big big lake!! 728 feet in the sun is no picnic.
Susie of Arabia said…
Wow what a gorgeous place!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!