Let the travels begin

August and September are going to be the months of "where in the world are Irv and Ellen".  We have lots going on which means I have lots to blog about.  Now just to find the time.

Let's start with Vancouver.


We went on an Alaskan cruise a couple weeks ago.  Beforehand we spent a couple days in Vancouver, B.C.  On one of those days we jumped on a tour bus to explore the city.  This is where we had to meet the tour bus.  Don't worry, I didn't step one foot into this evil place.


  First stop was Stanley Park.  They had a beautiful exhibit of totem poles.


Canadians call their native people the "First Nations" people.  


Stanley Park is absolutely beautiful.  If I ever go back I want to rent a bicycle and thoroughly explore the park.  The bad part of being on a bus tour is that there's not too much time for adventure.


A beautiful view of the city.


We drove past the Lion's Gate Bridge.  Same architect as the Golden Gate.  I would have loved to park the bus and walk across, but apparently there's a time schedule that has to be kept.


Our next stop was the Capilano Suspension bridge. It is a 450 foot span across the canyon that was originally built in 1889 out of hemp.  


Yes, there are a lot of people on the bridge and it does sway and shake.  Several people had to turn around and go back, but not us.  Even Irv made it across.


Stunning views from the middle of the bridge.


After crossing the bridge, the park contains several treetop bridges.  Although the temperature was cool, we were all sweating after crossing all the bridges.  Vancouver sits in a temperate rain forest.  Apparently it doesn't get too hot or too cold, but it is very humid because of all the rain they receive.


They also had a cliff walk. I was hoping it would have a glass bottom, but no such luck.


Our next stop was the Capilano Fish Hatchery.  


Because of over fishing, the salmon population is dwindling so the hatchery's goal is to help out.


Salmon are born, follow a river to the sea and then at the end of their lives they come back to the exact spot where they were born to lay their eggs and then they die.  The hatchery gathers those returning fish, retrieves their eggs and then the fish are killed.  Sad, but they're going to die anyway.


I can never pass by a beautiful hydrangea.


The tanks are caged in on all sides to keep out those critters who also appreciate a good salmon dinner.


We went on a short hike through the woods which made me really happy.


Here's the whole crew.  We were lucky to spend time with our son-in-law's parents.  They live in Australia so visits are few and far between.


Look at that good looking guy!


Everything is covered in green moss which is beautiful.


Our next stop was Granville Island.  There are lots of markets, shops, and galleries are on the island.  Definitely a spot I'd like to explore more if we ever go back to Vancouver.


From there we went to Vancouver Lookout.  It's a high-rise building with an observation deck.  You can see Canada Place where the cruise ships dock.  Ours wasn't there yet.


We were told that Vancouver City is a 4 kilometer square area where 110,000 people live.  80% of the high rises are apartment buildings.  One thing you notice about Vancouver is the color of the glass in the buildings.  It's kind of a green or gray color.  Our tour guide told us it's to help reflect the sunshine into the city on the many gray and dreary days these region experiences.

I really enjoyed our time in Vancouver.  We had some delicious meals and local brews.  Definitely a place worth visiting if you're ever in the Pacific Northwest.

Comments

polcat24 said…
Yes, a good time was had by all. So good in fact that I gained 8 pounds.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
It looks like fun to me!! I'd really like to spend some time in Vancouver.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!