Cruising in the Bay

By far my favorite day on the cruise was the day we spent in Glacier Bay National Park.  Only two cruise ships per day are allowed in the bay so it was quiet and relaxing.



We decided to splurge and purchase a cabana for the day.  Our kids had given us shipboard credit for Christmas and this is how we decided to spend it.


Being able to spend the day outside in the fresh air was amazing.


I will admit that it was a little chilly, but the cabana came stocked with blankets and towels in addition to a butler and an open bar for the day.


The Park Service boarded four rangers for the day.  We had an opportunity to speak with one of them.  She was a seasonal ranger who spends about three months up there.   Hmmm....maybe a possibility for future years.  These rangers have to climb a rope ladder from their boat onto the ship--that might not be the job for me.


A little relaxing in between meals.  


My photos don't do the Bay justice.  Below are several shots for your enjoyment.









A little hot chocolate and mulled wine.  The guys did a good job at keeping us covered up and warm.



Here's a shot of another cruise ship in front of one of the glaciers just to give you a perspective on the size of the glacier.


They serve pea soup while in the bay.  I tried it, but yuck...one bite was enough.



I wanted to bring this little guy home, but I was afraid his iceberg would have melted on the journey home.



The biggest decision of the day...what to have for lunch.


Later in the afternoon it started getting really cold. Time to put on the robe.


As a last resort we wrapped ourselves in anything we could find.  The wind was a little crazy by this time so we actually didn't last much longer.

I loved our day in Glacier Bay!  Thank you Adam and Dana!

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I think cabana is just the thing even though it is chillier than what you would normally think a cabana would be. Great that you could bundle up while seeing the sights.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!