Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
I've seen a lot of people on Facebook openly display their hatred of immigrants, specifically illegal immigrants. They usually make these posts right after posting about what great Christians they are.
I, too, am against illegal immigration, but I also know many of these people are fleeing unimaginable situations. I also know that these people are humans and they deserve dignity. Why would anyone pack up there family and walk hundreds of miles to a country that they know is currently ruled by an evil man who only cares about those with white skin who are highly educated.
I decided to see what the Bible says about immigrants. Here are just a few examples.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.
Matthew 25:35
When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:33-34
When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this.
Deuteronomy 24:19-22
Cursed is anyone who withholds justice from the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow. Then all the people shall say Amen!
Deuteronomy 27:19
This is what the LORD Almighty said: "Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other."
Zechariah 7:9-10
I could go on and on. I think there are a lot of people out there who need to open their Bibles to see what is said in there. Immigrants are people who deserve our kindness and respect, not our evil, ignorant memes that are shared over and over again on social media.
Smarten up people!
Comments