Skywatch Friday: DeLacy Creek and Shoshone Lake
I got up bright and early this morning, a very chilly morning (28 degrees), to meet a co-worker for a hike to Shoshone Lake on the DeLacy Creek trail. We observed a special surprise of a wolf pack on the way to the trail head. Sorry, no pictures of that, but it will forever be etched in my mind. So glad that after two years in the Park I finally saw a wolf!
DeLacy Creek is in the south end of the park. It is close to Grant Village where I worked last year. Last year I did this hike with my two hiking buddies and on the way out it started thundering and lightening so our hike turned into a trail run. Today the weather was perfect although a little cold.
The first part of the trail goes through a dense old growth lodge pole pine forest. Lots of downed trees like this one which I thought was interesting with the moss growing on it. I actually had to stop and put gloves on through this section because my hands got so cold.
How about the reflection of the clouds in the lake? Shoshone Lake sits at 7,795 feet and covers 8,050 acres. It's the largest back country lake in the lower 48 and there's only two ways to get here--hike or kayak, there's no road. You know what that means don't you? Only a handful of guests get to see this glorious sight.
We stopped for a snack and a water break, then headed out for more exploring. That came to an end when we came upon this downed tree that had taken out the trail. Since it was on the edge of a steep hill we decided not to try to traverse the break, but rather to head back.
On the hike out we came across this--fresh bear scat. It had not been there on the hike in so we know a bear literally crossed our path today. I've heard that most hikers have no idea when a bear is watching them from afar. We considered ourselves lucky today.
8.1 miles and 17K steps today.
Happy Skywatch Friday!
DeLacy Creek is in the south end of the park. It is close to Grant Village where I worked last year. Last year I did this hike with my two hiking buddies and on the way out it started thundering and lightening so our hike turned into a trail run. Today the weather was perfect although a little cold.
This warning was posted at the trail head. Would you have continued if you saw this warning? You may have heard about a bear attack in the Park last week by a sow on the Continental Divide trail. This sow and cub are probably the same pair since the trails are in the same area. The Park Service did not hunt down that bear because the family startled it and the 10-year old boy ran (understandably). If you run from a bear it triggers their prey instinct and they are likely to attack. The boy was extremely lucky that his parents were prepared with bear spray. It likely saved the kid's life.
The first part of the trail goes through a dense old growth lodge pole pine forest. Lots of downed trees like this one which I thought was interesting with the moss growing on it. I actually had to stop and put gloves on through this section because my hands got so cold.
Above is DeLacy Creek which leads to Shoshone Lake.
Before long the trail opens up into huge meadows. No sign of any wildlife though.
Mushrooms anyone?
The ground vegetation was covered in frost which make it even more beautiful than usual.
Before long we could see the lake. This section of the creek is covered in lily pads. Exquisite!
Beautiful reflections in the water.
How about the reflection of the clouds in the lake? Shoshone Lake sits at 7,795 feet and covers 8,050 acres. It's the largest back country lake in the lower 48 and there's only two ways to get here--hike or kayak, there's no road. You know what that means don't you? Only a handful of guests get to see this glorious sight.
We stopped for a snack and a water break, then headed out for more exploring. That came to an end when we came upon this downed tree that had taken out the trail. Since it was on the edge of a steep hill we decided not to try to traverse the break, but rather to head back.
On the hike out we came across this--fresh bear scat. It had not been there on the hike in so we know a bear literally crossed our path today. I've heard that most hikers have no idea when a bear is watching them from afar. We considered ourselves lucky today.
8.1 miles and 17K steps today.
Happy Skywatch Friday!

Comments
I was looking on Instagram today and people had viewed bears at trout lake recently. You can't be too careful.
I've been on hiking depression since I left Yellowstone. You spoiled me.
I'm glad you saw the wolves. That would be a thrill.
Coffee is on
I just came from your brother's blog. Apparently, I've visited you before but I haven't participated in SWF in many months. How cool to see wolves! I don't think I've ever seen on in the Smoky's but DH thinks he spotted on a time or two. I want to visit Yellowstone someday. We live near the Smoky's and have seen bears from the car many times. I remember one time in the mid-90s we were there with other family members and our small children walking one of the trails when mid-size bear saunter across our path. At first, it felt so natural, so out of the ordinary that no one thought much about it then it was like, "Holy Smokes, a bear!" We all just froze still in our tracks until it left. It seemed unbothered by us and went on its way much to our relief. I would think running from any large wildlife would trigger their predatory instincts to chase after you and you're right the parents' having bear spray probably saved their child's life. We always take it on the trail. The Smoky's have had several attacks in recent years. Unfortunately, the biggest problem is tourist feeding bear, elk, etc which in turns makes them not afraid of people anymore. It's amazing the stupid things tourists do and then they wonder what went wrong. *smack forehead*
Have a glorious, fototastic day!
Here's my SWF contribution! :)