Going to the Sun Road

I realized that I had one more post to do about Glacier National Park.  After our hike at Many Glacier on Wednesday and our waterfall hike on Thursday morning we headed out along the Going to the Sun Road.


The Going to the Sun Road construction started in 1921 and was completed in 1933.  It's about 50 miles long and connects the west and east sides of the park.  Above is the Jackson Glacier.


While in Glacier I learned how most Yellowstone visitors must feel.  The road was crowded, the pull outs were mostly full and there was nowhere to park.


The views were fantastic!  I wish I could tell you what the names of all these peaks are, but I'm only a Yellowstone expert not Glacier.


My pictures don't even begin to portray how magnificent these mountains are.


The valleys are like a rain forest--thick and lush.



Whenever we were able to find a pullout we stopped and took some photos.  Here I am with Ranger Susie.  I was really excited to find her at a gift shop.  I was equally dismayed to see Smokey Bear in a National Park gift shop.  If you grew up as a Forest Service brat you'll understand why I didn't like that.
 

Above is a view of part of the road leading into a tunnel.  The road is very narrow and is literally on the side of a mountain.


Building this road was no easy feat.  Irv was glad to be on the inside lane.
 


Beautiful waterfalls everywhere.


After leaving the mountains we came upon a very peaceful and beautiful river.


The water was so clear.


We searched for an available picnic area for awhile and came across a beautiful spot on Lake McDonald.


It was 90+ degrees so we decided to take off our shoes and cool off.


I'm not going to lie, it was cold, but it felt very refreshing.


Ranger Susie enjoyed it.


Beautiful lake!
 

After enjoying our lunch we made our way over to Apgar Village and checked into our cabin.  Irv did a great job of finding us a cabin.  I'm sure that these cabins are exactly like they were when they were built back in the day.  I love the history and its rustic feeling.

We were exhausted from our long hike that morning and accidentally took a two hour nap before heading into town and having dinner at a local brew pub.

It was a fun day and an unforgettable trip to Glacier.

Comments

polcat24 said…
Yes I really did enjoy that trip.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Wow, spectacular scenery. I can see why you liked it.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!