Mt. Washburn via Chittenden Road
I had to make an unplanned trip to the summit of Mount Washburn today. Last week the Park Service announced that they would be closing this trail for maintenance in the next few days for the remainder of the summer. I missed this hike last year so I didn't want to go another summer without reaching the summit.
I did my research and decided to take the route that goes up an old service road rather than the the switchbacks from the main trail head. That meant I needed to find the parking lot on Chittenden Road. When I did find that road I was glad to be in my 4-wheel drive truck. Thank goodness it was only a short drive to the parking lot.
The first part of the road meanders through some meadows and trees, but then I came around the corner and this is what I faced. You may be able to see the road cut into the side of the mountain.
There it is! I'm almost there. I'm not going to lie, the last few hundred feet were the hardest.
Only a few more steps and I'll finally be there. This lookout was built in 1941 and is one of three active lookouts in Yellowstone. I actually saw the ranger patrolling around. He lives there alone all summer. There was no vehicle so his only way out is hiking, however, he can't leave because who would watch for fires?
I did my research and decided to take the route that goes up an old service road rather than the the switchbacks from the main trail head. That meant I needed to find the parking lot on Chittenden Road. When I did find that road I was glad to be in my 4-wheel drive truck. Thank goodness it was only a short drive to the parking lot.
Almost immediately upon entering the trail I was treated to views like this. Trees, meadows, and mountains on all sides.
Can you see him in the photo above? I think it's a sage grouse. He must not be able to fly, or he's super lazy, because all he did was run ahead of me.
Before long I was up high enough to see some snow.
The first part of the road meanders through some meadows and trees, but then I came around the corner and this is what I faced. You may be able to see the road cut into the side of the mountain.
The summit is at that very top little peak. This is the first point where I considered turning back. That long uphill grade was a little daunting.
I knew my reaction was purely psychological so I didn't spend a lot of time looking up at how far I had to go. Instead I focused on one step at a time and watching my feet. However, I frequently scanned the area to see if any bears were wanting to join me on the uphill trek.
I thought this stand of dead trees was beautiful. More than likely a victim of the 1988 fire.
I passed more and more snow fields.
About 2/3rds of the way up I came across this bench. I was pretty sure it had been placed there just for me so I took a break for a few minutes to catch my breath.
Then it was time to start up again. Why the heck is that summit still so far up that mountain? Shouldn't I be there by now?
Once again I had the urge to turn around, but then I caught sight of this guy through my telephoto lens. Nothing is keeping me from the summit if I get to see a bighorn sheep up there.
This is where the two trails converge. I'm almost there.
More beautiful views.
There it is! I'm almost there. I'm not going to lie, the last few hundred feet were the hardest.
Only a few more steps and I'll finally be there. This lookout was built in 1941 and is one of three active lookouts in Yellowstone. I actually saw the ranger patrolling around. He lives there alone all summer. There was no vehicle so his only way out is hiking, however, he can't leave because who would watch for fires?
I was treated to this mother and baby perched on a rock ledge. I guess those babies learn to be surefooted early on.
Then this guy showed up. I think this is the guy I spotted from down below.
The trail is being closed for maintenance on the lookout. I suppose it's long overdue for a makeover, but it's a shame they have to close one of Yellowstone's most popular destinations.
I stopped for a granola bar and a few photos then headed back down. Do you see what I see? A whole herd of sheep! Can you imagine being any luckier?
Big ones, little ones, lazy ones, mothers. They were all there!
Baby was still up on the rock ledge, but I don't know where mama went. Isn't she or he adorable?
What goes up must come down so here I go on the long downhill trek.
Can you see that long trail?
No trip to the high country is complete without photos of the wildflowers.
Down, down, down and before long the parking lot is visible.
3 hours to hike up
1:15 to hike down
16,851 steps -- 6 miles
I was quite proud of myself for reaching the summit!
Losing 25 lbs. this springs definitely helped with breathing at this altitude.
Comments