Family History
Last week I made the long drive to the Dubois Cemetery to hang out with my mom and dad. My parents are buried a long way from any of their kids and they don't have anyone to bring them flowers so I took the opportunity beautify their graves.
My Aunt Helen is also here. She was quite a character and always tried to act grumpy. A couple years ago Ancestry.com connected me to her daughter, Terri. A long lost cousin that was given up at birth. Terri and I have become good friends although we have yet to meet in person.
It has been nine months since my dad passed away and sometimes I still can't believe it. What a gift it was to be able to visit him several times last summer and to be with him the last couple weeks until he took his last breath. He is missed every day.
I visited a few other relatives while I was there. Dorothy was one of my mom's sisters. There were seven sisters and four brothers in the family--one brother died at birth.
There are two sections in the Dubois Cemetery. This side has the beautiful pine trees. My mom always said she wanted a tree, but...
her and dad ended up on the treeless side because there was no more space under the trees. I'm thinking about sneaking in there with a shovel and pine tree one of these days.
This is a cousin who died in a collision with a train many years ago. His dog died with him.
Then there's my Uncle Matt. I'm pretty sure I was Uncle Matt's favorite. He ran the drug store in Jackson and during a visit when I was young he gave me my own TV. My brothers didn't get anything, I was the lucky one. Matt was a fine gentleman who was a lifelong bachelor. I spent a lot of time with him and was devastated when he was killed in a car crash in 1976.
My grandparents, Eunice and Thomas, are also buried here.
They both died before I was born so I never knew them.
My Aunt Helen is also here. She was quite a character and always tried to act grumpy. A couple years ago Ancestry.com connected me to her daughter, Terri. A long lost cousin that was given up at birth. Terri and I have become good friends although we have yet to meet in person.
Lois is my beloved Aunt. The best cook in the country and one of the kindest most loving people I've ever known. She ran the kitchen at the ranch and everything was homemade and delicious. She was the twin of the brother who died at birth. She was the last survivor of all the siblings. She will always be missed.
So much history in this place.
Comments