Skywatch Friday: Mormon Row

I took a trip to Jackson Hole this week to stock up on supplies.  No trip there is complete without a stop at Mormon Row.

Mormon Row is a settlement that was started in the late 1890s by the Church of Latter Day Saints.  Settlers from the Salt Lake area moved to this are and built a community thanks to the Homestead Act of 1862 which granted land ownership to anyone willing to built a house and cultivate the area for five years.



Several structures survived and today they are on the National Register of Historic Places.  These barns are the subject of many photographs thanks to their setting in front of the majestic Teton mountain range.

The above barn is the T.A. Mouton barn.  The homestead was settled in 1910 and it took over 30 years to build this barn. 



Comments

polcat24 said…
Your really seeing a lot while your there. Looking forward to seeing some of it when I visit.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
You know our aunt Lois had a photo of that barn in her living room for years an I was so intrigued and when I found out about Mormon Row I was thrilled. Dad took us right there several years ago and it was the afternoon and I didn't know how to capture the shadows in the barn. I just love it and would like to get back there again.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!