A wanderin' we shall go
What could be better than celebrating our risen Lord on top of one of America's most beautiful mountains?
Jillian, Brian, Irv, and I plus some friends thought today would be the perfect day to climb the newly renovated Manitou Springs Incline.
The Incline is an extreme trail above the city of Manitou Springs. It is the remains of a narrow gauge funicular railway that washed out in a rock slide in 1990. It rises over 2,000 feet in about a mile with grades as steep as 68%. It is a right of passage to climb the Incline if you're a Coloradan.
The type of steep where you think you're going to fall over backwards and roll all the way back down to the parking lot while taking dozens of people out with you. I think it all goes back to the thrill gene that I didn't get. I do not like being in dangerous situations, or perceived dangerous situations. There's a cutoff midway up that leads to the Barr trail. That's where I exited. The rest of the group kept going.
So I got to the Barr trail and then decided to head up the mountain to meet the group when they were coming back down.
For about a mile I was meeting hikes and runners on their way down. Before long I realized that I hadn't seen another human for about 15-20 minutes. That seemed odd with the number of people who were on the Incline, but I kept going. Apparently I missed the turn out to the top of the Incline.
This is where I got to spend my time with God. I'm at peace in the forest. I see God all around me and I feel his presence. I can't think of a better place to thank Him for His son who died for our sins and rose from the dead for US. Peaceful, content, happy, thankful.
Then my cell phone beeps and Irv is texting me asking where I am. I took the time to look at the map on my phone to see where I was. It showed me in the middle of the Pike National Forest. Oops! I was about three miles up the trail and they all ended up having to wait for me to get back down. I did about 8 miles on that mountain today and my muscles have been screaming ever since.
What happens after a strenuous hike? Food (and beer) of course! A trip to Rudy's for BBQ. It makes all the pain worth it!
If I ever again suggest doing the Incline, please slap me. I love hiking, but that was a 0 on the fun scale. Never again!
So how was your Easter? I've decided to retire from holiday dinners at our house. It's too much work for the preparer and I'm ready to quit. Everything at our house is going to be simpler from now on. The only bad thing was that we didn't get to spend time with Mary and Mr. Beans. They declined our invitation to climb a mountain on Easter.
Here's a pic of Miss GiGi's first Easter.
Have a good week!
Jillian, Brian, Irv, and I plus some friends thought today would be the perfect day to climb the newly renovated Manitou Springs Incline.
The Incline is an extreme trail above the city of Manitou Springs. It is the remains of a narrow gauge funicular railway that washed out in a rock slide in 1990. It rises over 2,000 feet in about a mile with grades as steep as 68%. It is a right of passage to climb the Incline if you're a Coloradan.
Here we are at the bottom. From here it looks doable.
Then reality sets in really quick.
It is steep and I mean really steep.
The type of steep where you think you're going to fall over backwards and roll all the way back down to the parking lot while taking dozens of people out with you. I think it all goes back to the thrill gene that I didn't get. I do not like being in dangerous situations, or perceived dangerous situations. There's a cutoff midway up that leads to the Barr trail. That's where I exited. The rest of the group kept going.
So I got to the Barr trail and then decided to head up the mountain to meet the group when they were coming back down.
For about a mile I was meeting hikes and runners on their way down. Before long I realized that I hadn't seen another human for about 15-20 minutes. That seemed odd with the number of people who were on the Incline, but I kept going. Apparently I missed the turn out to the top of the Incline.
This is where I got to spend my time with God. I'm at peace in the forest. I see God all around me and I feel his presence. I can't think of a better place to thank Him for His son who died for our sins and rose from the dead for US. Peaceful, content, happy, thankful.
Then my cell phone beeps and Irv is texting me asking where I am. I took the time to look at the map on my phone to see where I was. It showed me in the middle of the Pike National Forest. Oops! I was about three miles up the trail and they all ended up having to wait for me to get back down. I did about 8 miles on that mountain today and my muscles have been screaming ever since.
What happens after a strenuous hike? Food (and beer) of course! A trip to Rudy's for BBQ. It makes all the pain worth it!
If I ever again suggest doing the Incline, please slap me. I love hiking, but that was a 0 on the fun scale. Never again!
So how was your Easter? I've decided to retire from holiday dinners at our house. It's too much work for the preparer and I'm ready to quit. Everything at our house is going to be simpler from now on. The only bad thing was that we didn't get to spend time with Mary and Mr. Beans. They declined our invitation to climb a mountain on Easter.
Here's a pic of Miss GiGi's first Easter.
Have a good week!
Comments