"I choose hospice"
A longtime friend and coworker of 26 years passed away yesterday after a long battle with Leiomyosarcoma. She was possibly the most Godly woman I've ever know. After spending a career with YL she left to become a chaplain with the Colorado DOC. She cared for those women and mentored them even after they left prison. She followed the teachings that instructs us to care of those in prison.
She fought hard and put up a good battle all while calming her friends and family with verses. I was in awe of her. On June 1st, however, she knew the battle was coming to an end and she shared the words, "I choose hospice". Her faith carried her through her last weeks. She is such an inspiration.
Last year she gave me a photo of some owlets who were about to fledge across the street from her house. I asked permission to paint them and of course she graciously agreed. I will forever remember my friend, Alicia, whenever I see a Great Horned Owl. I know she's in the arms of Jesus with those she loves.
Rest well my friend, I hope you understand the legacy and impact you left behind.
One of her last messages: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

Comments