Camp Life!

Last week we loaded up the trailer and drove six hours to a campground near Pagosa Springs, CO.  It was about 20 miles out of town in a remote area.  Not real convenient, but it was the only place I could find with a tree covered campground and cabins for some guests who were joining.


It was quiet, spacious, canopied by trees and had swarms of hummingbirds.


Since we were so far out of town we were the cooks for the three days we were there.  Once again the Blackstone got some good use.  One night was beef fajita night.


One night was Dutch oven beef stew (my specialty).  It was appropriate that I was cooking in the Dutch oven over Father's Day weekend.  He's the one who taught me my skills.  Thanks Dad!


On the last night we broke out the Dutch oven again for some peach cobbler.  I tried a new recipe this time called "Lazy Peach Cobbler".  I didn't really care for it.  Back to the old recipe next time.


Our one and only hike was to Piedra Falls in the San Juan National Forest.  When we pulled up to the trailhead there were lots of forest service vehicles.  Not to worry, no fire...just some training going on.  As a forest service brat and a resident of Colorado my first thought is always fire.


Waiting at the trail sign for the rest of the group.


It was a really well maintained trail.  Thank you trail crews!


We only got one hike in during the trip.


Here I am prepared for the warm weather and sunshine.  I like to keep the sun off my face because I have more than enough freckles.  I also learned that not everybody carries a hydro flask with them wherever they go.  Mine is always with me and I panic if I forget it at home.  Maybe it's a Colorado thing, or maybe it's a thing for people who spend time in nature on trails.


It was a short half mile to Piedra Falls.  The only difficult part of the trail was climbing over the boulders at the end.


The water of the Piedra River was clear, pristine and very chilly.


Poor Irv was surrounded by three women, the other husband cancelled at the last minute.  His hammock gave him a quiet space.


Here he is cooking up some burgers at 9:00 at night.  We'd had a late lunch and by evening most everyone said they were hungry again.  See that orange drink in the front?  I brought along all the fixings for an  Aperol Spritz.  It was the first time I'd ever made them and they were delicious.


Lots of good times around the campfire including lots of really tall tales, it's a family trait to make every story larger than life.


Instead of going to the fantastic hot springs in town, we ended up just going kayaking at Williams Reservoir.  By the time we got there the wind had come up and kayaking was nearly impossible.  Plus we had a newbie with us who'd never been in a kayak and we were a little worried about their safety.


Beautiful view from the lake.

In nine days we'll be loading up the trailer and kayaks again and going off to the mountains to do it again.  This time will be even better because we are each other's favorite camping, hiking, and kayaking partner.  Living the good life!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!