Another day at Harriman

An artist friend from Colorado Springs was visiting the area last week and we met up to do some plein air painting at Harriman State Park in Idaho.


Harriman has some beautiful views.  We walked around for awhile looking for the perfect spot and decided on a spot right beside the river.  You may notice the wide brim hats.  Why?  When you're painting you can't wear sunglasses and you need to have your eyes shaded to view the colors properly.  


This was my chosen scene.  So beautiful.


Here is my painting in its beginning stages.  Plein air is supposed to be quick without too much detail.  If you know how I paint then you know that goes against everything I do while painting.


It was a beautiful day to be outside along the river.  We used tons of mosquito repellant.  There was a high school orchestra camp going on and we were serenaded by their wonderful music all day.  Some of the kids came over and said such nice things about our paintings.  Made me feel like there is hope for my work yet.


Above is my friend's painting.  She was looking a different direction that I was.  She's been doing plein air painting for several years and it was nice to get some pointers from her.  Kind of funny how two different artists see things so differently.


Today I did something you're never supposed to do with plein air art...I got it out and finished it.  All my colors had been absorbed into the green when the painting dried so I needed to add some details and color back in.  Now it's done...maybe. 

Afterwards my friend invited me back to her AirBnB to have dinner with her and her husband.  The conversation over dinner turned to them talking about those damn liberals, democratic governors who are ruining everything, BLM, the rigged election, blah, blah, blah.  I guess everyone assumes that if you're white you have the same political views. I was polite, held my tongue, and then made a beeline out of there as quickly as possible.  I have zero desire to socialize with any reTrumplican.

Oh well, at least I had a great day of painting and a delicious steak.

Comments

I love your painting!

So sad that our country has become so divided. I remember when it did not really matter what political party one belonged to. We were all respectful of each other's opinions and could disagree without name-calling and derision.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!