Thanksgiving and more

 I hope everyone had a nice pandemic Thanksgiving.  It was certainly different this year.  The need for social distancing and staying safe from the virus certainly affected our family, but we made the best of it.


One thing that didn't change was my retirement from cooking on holidays.  I used to spend all day in the kitchen cooking on holidays.  Yes, it was really delicious, but when someone does all the cooking that means that person didn't get to enjoy the day.  Now we get a Thanksgiving meal in a box.

And then there's after the meal, you know, when the cleanup has to be done?  It seems that the same people who cook are the ones doing the cleanup.  Usually it's the men who sit on their butts while the women cook and then they continue sitting on their butts while the women do the cleaning.  It may have taken a few years, but my darling husband learned that everyone pitches in during these events.  


We not only celebrated Thanksgiving, we celebrated by hubby's retirement.  His last day of work was on Thanksgiving day.  Yes, the scheduler really stuck it to him.  Anyway, while he was at work I was a home getting things set up for his surprise party.  Believe it or not, this display took me a couple hours to set up.  There were lots of cuss words flying around because I couldn't get anything to stick to the wall or the balloons kept losing their air.


I had a big sign made for him.  I think everyone should be celebrated when they retire, it's a special day and yes, that should include working men and women too.  We had always planned to have a big party with friends and family when this day came, but not that can't happen in 2020 (especially for those of us who believe in science and the experts).


I know most people have their Christmas decorations up already.  I really like Thanksgiving so I decorated for autumn.


Fall is my favorite time of year.  Of course this year everyone's decor includes lots of hand sanitizer.


We've gotten very casual over the years.  No more china and serving dishes.  We use paper plates and have a buffet line.  This guy is always the first in line.  


I always try to make the table look a little festive even if we use paper plates.



We had a bundt cake for dessert.  We've started celebrating birthdays with bundt cakes because they are so delicious.  Irv especially loves them so he got a pumpkin spice retirement cake.

We have so much to be thankful for even if the entire family couldn't be together for the holiday.

Stay safe out there and don't forget to wear your masks!




Comments

polcat24 said…
It was really a surprise when I drove up and they were waiting outside with noise makers and horns. The dinner was a great and I ate till i was stuffed. I married a good one, think i'll keep her! :)
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Looks like a great Thanksgiving celebration and retirement. Irv has certainly has done his part for his country. But as you know the military life requires sacrifices by the family, especially spouses, as well so kudos to you also.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!