Skywatch Friday: Gneiss Creek

When I go hiking in Yellowstone I usually like to be under the cover of trees where it's shady and cool in the midst of summer.  Yesterday, however, I decided to head out to the open meadows to see the many wildflowers that grow in the Yellowstone ecosystem.



I knew a storm was expected later in the afternoon and I thought I had enough time to go a couple miles before the storm rolled in.


The sky was incredibly beautiful and...


I could quickly tell that the storm was rolling in faster than I anticipated.


I kept going though and was delighted with the many species of flowers I encountered.


The trail also meandered through some aspen groves which were equally as beautiful.


I also came upon this craggy old tree.  Makes you wonder what happened...maybe a lightning strike?


I don't know the names of all these flowers.  Every year when I come up here I research what they are all called and then by the next summer I have completely forgotten.


I'm pretty sure these are mountain lupine.  They're my favorite.


There were big bunches of these pink/purple beauties.  


When I started hearing thunder I made a hasty retreat back to my truck.  Hiking in these vast meadows was nice, but I think I'll stick to my forest hikes.  





Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Nice hike, I bet it was warm out there in the sun. I had to look up the trail and so it looks like you avoided the mess of the main part of Yellowstone.
Klara said…
great landscape. Yellowstone is on my bucket list. if ever :(

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!