An Afternoon Date

You know what is really nice about being retired and having a husband who works seven days on followed by seven days off?

Sometimes we can have "date night" in the middle of the day.

There's a local brewery that is housed in an old school building.  We headed over there for lunch and a beer on Friday.  I didn't take any pictures of the inside,but it reminds me of the school I attended in Price, Utah for kindergarten and 1st grade.


I can't really tell you why, probably the original creaky floors, big windows, and the brick facade.  I couldn't find any pictures of the Harding School, only a pic of the historical marker.


I did know the school closed not long after I attended there, but I had forgotten it was just a couple years later.  I think all schools from that era were built with a similar design and they were built to last for years and years.  I'm so glad the brewery found a home at Ivy Wild to preserve some history.

It was at the Harding School where I remember practicing for bombs headed over from Russia.  I can also remember buying savings bond stamps at school and I'm pretty sure we used to get immunizations at school (anyone else remember this stuff?).  None of this stuff about opting out of immunizations for your kids like these days.  What I remember most about the first grade was my teacher, Mrs. Fawcett, who whacked me on the back of the legs with a yardstick one time during dance time.  I was wearing a dress and dancing with a boy and apparently I wasn't doing something right.  Another thing I remember about Mrs. Fawcett was the time she took away a big eraser that I'd just received for my birthday.  We weren't allowed to have erasers back then.  Mrs. Fawcett does not evoke pleasant memories. 

We also had to eat all our lunch back then.  We had monitors who walked around making sure every morsel was gone.  Many times I can remember stuffing my spinach into the milk carton. I used to beg my mom to take my own lunch, but she always said no.  School lunch was something like 25 cents.


Their beer is delicious.  My favorite is the Beehive Wheat which is made with honey.  Yummy!  Irv had their home brewed root beer.


They have big windows overlooking the brewing vessels (I don't know what they're called.)


I played my first ever shuffleboard.


Irv won of course.  Irv wins at everything--never even used to let his girls win at Candy Land.


The brewery doesn't have a huge food menu, but what they did have was excellent, especially the sweet potato fries. 


Afterwards Irv did a little geocaching.  Yes, I took this picture from the inside of the truck--it was cold and windy outside.


Then we said hey to the neighbors and headed home.

A fun afternoon for us country folk!

Did you enjoy this post?  If so, please leave me a comment.

Comments

polcat24 said…
Yes the food at Bristol brewery was delis, and I did let the girls win when they were little!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Looks like if we go there the Bates' will be challenging the Polyards' in shuffleboard.

I went to Central-Harding for 2nd through 6th grade. I had some real nice teachers and some real battleaxes. Lots more men teachers back then. Mr. Atwood in fourth grade and Mr. Patterson in 6th were great guys. I remember the principal Mr. Jensen.

So how come Mom let me and Bob take our lunches and not you?

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!