Skywatch Friday: Mid-December Hike Around the Garden

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Southern Colorado so we headed over for a hike in the Garden of the Gods.  This is one of my favorite close by hikes and this time I tried to take photos of some rock formations that I normally don't shoot.



Unfortunately I don't know the names of these formations, all I know is that they are beautiful! 


Garden of the Gods got its name from two surveyors who came across the formations in 1859.  One of them suggested it would be a great place for a beer garden.  The other thought it was a fit place for Gods to assemble and he called it the Garden of the Gods.  I think this is a much better name than Beer Garden although it would be fun to have a beer garden in the midst of these spectacular formations.


Above is the Kissing Camels using my telephoto lens.  Can you see it?


Here it is from way down below.


We got to see this beauty along the way. He held still only long enough for me to snap this one photo.



Amazing! 


This is the central garden.  It's a nice place to visit in the middle of the week when everyone else is working.

We finished our hike around 3:00 right before the wind picked up and the snow started flying.

Happy Skywatch Friday!

Comments

These really are beautiful rock formations. This is a place I would like to visit someday. Thanks for the post!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
That's a great place to hike. I remember you took us there several years ago when we came for a visit.
Beautiful post, love the rock formations
Photos by Stan said…
I saw a kiss immediately, but camels did not occur to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!