Skywatch Friday: Lodgepole Pines

I've been home from Yellowstone for almost three months and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss it.

Did you know that Lodgepole Pines make up about 80% of the trees in Yellowstone?  You'll also find spruce, fir, and other various pine trees in Yellowstone, but the Lodgepole is dominant.


I took the above picture on a hike to Cascade Lake in June.  They grow up to 75 feet tall.  When the wind blows you can hear them creaking as they sway back and forth.  They have cones that remain high in the crowns of the trees until a fire sweeps through.  Then the cones open and disburse their seeds so the forest can regrow. 


The devastation of the 1988 fires in Yellowstone that burned 1.2 million acres is still evident, but the forest is coming back stronger than ever in most areas thanks to the Lodgepole pines.  They love the carbon rich soil that is left behind after a fire and seedlings will start popping up very quickly.


They are found throughout the park.  It's a treat when you hike through an old growth forest such as this one by Shoshone Lake


If you're on a trail in Yellowstone and pass a tree with the bark rubbed off like this then you know a bison has also passed this way.  They like to scratch themselves on the trees to help get their dense winter coat off.

Anytime I start missing Yellowstone too much I go take a look at the live cams to see what the current conditions are.  This is the West Yellowstone entrance this afternoon.  The Park opened back up to snow coach and snowmobile traffic only on December 15th.  It is very beautiful, but I don't like snow or cold so this isn't the place for me in the winter.

Hope you're having a wonderful Skywatch Friday!

Comments

polcat24 said…
Yep, I feel for the folks that have to man the gates during the winter.
So interesting how the Lodgepoles spread their seeds after a fire. Nature is very smart!!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Beautiful pics, Dad loved to talk about the lodgepole pine cones and how they opened up with fire.
betty-NZ said…
Beautiful trees, and thanks for the info about them! I do like to see snow, but don't care to be in it :)

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!