The mountains are calling and I must go
My time in Yellowstone is coming to an end for this season. It's an emotional time. On one hand I can't wait to return home to my sweet hubbie, daughter, and grandson not to mention all my critters. On the other hand it is heart wrenching to leave this land that I have such a deep connection with.
There are many things I love about the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, but at the top of the list are the mountains.
"Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand windows to show us God."
John Muir.
There are many things I love about the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, but at the top of the list are the mountains.
"Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand windows to show us God."
John Muir.
The Tetons when we arrived in May.
The Tetons in August after the snow has melted and the sky is hazy with smoke from nearby forest fires.
The view from Mt. Washburn.
The peak of Mt. Washburn.
My greatest hiking achievement this summer--reaching the summit of Mt. Washburn.
National Park Mountain. This is a new place I discovered this summer and I consider it a sacred spot.
This is the headwaters of the Madison River where the Gibbon and Firehole Rivers converge. It was at this spot on September 19, 1870 where members of the Washburn, Doane, and Langford expedition sat around a campfire and decided what was to become of this majestic place.
They all agreed that this land had to be preserved and protected for generations to come rather than developed and commercialized like landmarks such as Niagara Falls.
Within two years Congress agreed and on March 1, 1872 Ulysses S. Grant signed the Act that made Yellowstone the world's first national park. Since then it has become the duty of every American to protect these lands. No administration should have the authority to open up sacred lands for drilling, mining, sale, or development. It is up to all of us to RESIST these unconscionable acts.
I have met thousands of people this summer and there are a handful that stick in my mind. One day I had a motorcyclist come through my lane. I don't know how the subject came up, but he proceeded to tell me about the loss of his daughter six years ago. He told me how he always told her that he loved her to the moon and back, about 240,000 miles. He was on a six year trek to ride his bike that distance in her honor. He had a couple more years to go before he was done and he told me he always makes a stop in Yellowstone whenever possible because that's where his heart and soul is.
A kindred spirit. Someone who shares my connection with this place.
This year I have worked with people from 20 to 70 years old. We are all kindred spirits. We are all protectors of Yellowstone.
Comments