You can't take it with you
One of the things my parents taught me was to keep things cleaned out in the house. Last year when I cleaned out my dad's house it was made easier by his lack of hoarding. Well, to be honest my dad hoarded nails, screws, wood, metal, tools, etc. that might be needed if he needed to fix or repair something.
After his passing in August we had to clean out his apartment and it wasn't too difficult. He knew that material possessions are just that. When you go to heaven you can't take a single possession with you. I think it was one of my parent's most unselfish acts to not hang onto stuff over their lifetime.
So, I'm one who keeps things cleaned out too and now that I'm not working my non-hoarding is going into high gear. With the help of my dear hubbie who has taken a few decades to realize how freeing it is to let stuff go, we cleaned out the shed the other day. Over the summer the shed had fallen off its supports and things got jostled around, so in the process of putting things back in order we took the time to clean out lots of stuff.
I didn't take any before pictures, but below is a picture in progress. The mask was to keep from inhaling moth dust.
Here's the finished project. Just some Christmas decorations, camping gear, and baby items for any future possible grandchildren.
It's mostly empty and that feels dang good.
The next thing I need to clean out are my mother's paintings. There are more than my house can accommodate so I need to let go of that emotional attachment. That's going to happen in the next month or so.
What have you cleaned out lately?
After his passing in August we had to clean out his apartment and it wasn't too difficult. He knew that material possessions are just that. When you go to heaven you can't take a single possession with you. I think it was one of my parent's most unselfish acts to not hang onto stuff over their lifetime.
So, I'm one who keeps things cleaned out too and now that I'm not working my non-hoarding is going into high gear. With the help of my dear hubbie who has taken a few decades to realize how freeing it is to let stuff go, we cleaned out the shed the other day. Over the summer the shed had fallen off its supports and things got jostled around, so in the process of putting things back in order we took the time to clean out lots of stuff.
I didn't take any before pictures, but below is a picture in progress. The mask was to keep from inhaling moth dust.
Here's the finished project. Just some Christmas decorations, camping gear, and baby items for any future possible grandchildren.
It's mostly empty and that feels dang good.
The next thing I need to clean out are my mother's paintings. There are more than my house can accommodate so I need to let go of that emotional attachment. That's going to happen in the next month or so.
What have you cleaned out lately?
Comments