Skywatch Friday: Balloons Everywhere!

I just got back from a trip to New Mexico and Arizona.  While in Albuquerque I went to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  It had been over 40 years since I had attended this event and all I have to say about it is AMAZING!

 
We arrived before dawn to attend the 6:00 a.m. balloon glow.

 
Then at 7:00 it was time for the mass ascension.  Hundreds and hundreds of balloons of every shape and color.  Pictures cannot even begin to do justice to the beauty of this ascension. 

 
One wave after another goes off.  Above is the Colorado balloon.
 
 
After losing my dad this year seeing the Smokey Bear balloon made me both happy and sad. 
 
 
I snapped hundreds of pictures that morning.  Every time I turned around it was more and more beautiful.

 
It was unusually warm that morning and there was zero wind.  Those conditions made for a beautiful sight for the spectators, but not such a good experience for those going for a balloon ride.  The balloons rose and just hovered for about an hour before they came back down in pretty much the same location as they launched from.

 
The hugest balloon was the Wells Fargo stagecoach.  It inflated but never left the ground.  I assume the air was too warm.  We watched them deflate it and roll it up.  Wells Fargo had the best chase vehicle as you can see below the balloon.  They said the balloon weighs 500 pounds and it took a crew of about 20 people to get it ready to go back into the truck.
 
 
A great time was had by all.  This event should be on everyone's bucket list.  I plan to go back next year!
 
 

Comments

polcat24 said…
It was a very impressive event!!
It's definitely on my bucket list! Looks like a really fun time, and great photos.
Photo Cache said…
One event that I really want to experience.

Worth a Thousand Words
Al said…
Great shots - I've wanted to go to this for years. It's always nice to read another local COS blogger!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
The only thing prettier than hot air balloon up in the air is dozens if not hundreds. I'm adding this to my bucket list.
Photos by Stan said…
OMG!!! I've been at much smaller hot air balloon rallies...haven't seen anything quite as crowded as this one. Talk about traffic...
Lady Fi said…
What a wonderful sight!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!