It's our time!

This morning I woke up with the realization that our country is on the brink of a very historical moment.  By tomorrow night it is very likely that we will finally have our first woman president. 

Think about it...women did not even have the right to vote until the 19th amendment was ratified in 1920.

Here's some other things that women could not do.

  • Could not own property
  • Had no legal right to the money she earned
  • Could not get a credit card until 1974
  • Could not get an Ivy League education--Harvard didn't allow women until 1977
  • Could not use contraceptives if they were married--a practice that was banned in 1965
  • Until 1978 pregnant woman could legally be laid off from their jobs
  • Sexual harassment wasn't illegal until 1977
  • Women could not attend a military academy until 1978
  • Women could not serve on juries in all 50 states until 1973
  • Women could not serve in combat roles until 2013
  • The U.S. is the only developed country that does not require employers to provide paid maternity leave.
  • Until 1964 it was okay to discriminate against female job applicants because of their gender
  • Women could not participate in Olympic ski jumping until 2014 nor could they enter the Boston Marathon until 1972
  • And the list goes on and on.

Some of the worst discrimination I've personally encountered has come from other women.  When my eldest daughter was two years old I used to talk about what college she would go to and what career she would have.  This woman looked me in the face and said there was no reason for her to go to college because she'd just end up staying home and having babies.

A couple years ago I also heard that a woman could not possibly be president because she has a uterus.

I've also witnessed a hiring situation where a man was brought into the company at nearly the same pay rate that I was at simply because "he has a family to support" even though I had been with the company for 10+ years.  79 cents on the dollar--it's not right.  Those two degrees I earned and the 20+ years of experience don't seem to count for much if you're a woman.

These are just a few of the reasons that I've been so actively involved with the Clinton campaign this year.  It's time to break that glass ceiling.  That's why I make buttons or do data entry or whatever the campaign needs.  I don't ever want to look back and wonder if I could have done more.














When I left the campaign headquarters for the last time yesterday a Buck Owens song came on the radio.  Why is that important you ask?

My mom was the biggest Buck Owens fan and she used to play his records non-stop.  It gave me chills because it was a sign from her on how thrilled she is to see a female Democrat on the ticket.  My mom was a devoted Democrat and I'm sure she's so proud to see me working so hard for not only the Democratic party, but also the first woman president.




I can't wait until tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!