Something New!
I got a new toy this week thanks to a co-worker who always brings the best looking leftovers for lunch. He always tells me how his wife whips up these fantastic meals in their digital, electric pressure cooker.
So I ordered myself one.
And I found a really good cookbook to go along with it. Quite frankly, I've never even wanted to touch a pressure cooker before. I remember my mom cooking stuff with the stovetop cooker with the little do-dad on top rattling with all the steam. It was frightening so I knew I would need a book to help me out.
First recipe--chicken and dumplings. I've never had chicken and dumplings before...the slimy dumplings have never looked appetizing, but I knew my darling husband would enjoy it.
So I ordered myself one.
And I found a really good cookbook to go along with it. Quite frankly, I've never even wanted to touch a pressure cooker before. I remember my mom cooking stuff with the stovetop cooker with the little do-dad on top rattling with all the steam. It was frightening so I knew I would need a book to help me out.
First recipe--chicken and dumplings. I've never had chicken and dumplings before...the slimy dumplings have never looked appetizing, but I knew my darling husband would enjoy it.
First step was to brown the chicken and it can all be done inside the cooker.
Next add the veggies, broth, and seasonings.
Then the hard and most time consuming part. How to pressurize the thing? It came with a manual and although it was written in English, it wasn't great English. We had to resort to YouTube to figure out how to work the thing. How did we ever get along without YouTube and Google?
After only 8 minutes it was time to release the pressure. I made Irv do that part...I didn't want it blowing up in my face.
Then I whipped up the dumplings, put them in the pot to simmer for 10 minutes, and it was done.
Amazingly it looked just like the photo in the cook book.
I'm still not that hot on dumplings, but I ate one and gave Irv the second one--they are slimy. It was quite delicious even if I do say so myself.
Irv had two bowls and said he REALLY, REALLY liked it.
Success!
I can't wait to try the next recipe.
Comments