A weekend at the Peaks!

Finally!

We got to take the new camper on its first "real" camping trip.


To me, real camping is done in a picturesque, quiet, remote location.  Forest Service campgrounds are the best.  I don't care for camping in those huge, commercialized campgrounds where your camper is five feet from the neighbor. 


We loaded up and drove about 2 1/2 hours west of Colorado Springs to the Buena Vista/Collegiate Peaks area.  Lucky for Irv that I reserved us a pull-through site so he didn't have to back the beast into a spot.


We even did a great job of getting the beast level, both front to back and side to side.


Notice the trees and seclusion?  I was in heaven!


Plenty of room for the slide-out.


Okay, now for the real truth.  As much as I like seclusion, I also like to have a little electricity for the essentials--microwave, hair dryer, but mainly to charge the battery.  Why do we need a battery?  Mainly to keep the heater running throughout the night.  It was a little on the chilly side up there.


After getting camp set up it was time for a walking tour of the camp.   Would we be lucky enough to see a bear?  No, not this time.


The Cottonwood River runs alongside the camp.  We didn't have a water side spot, but we made note of a few spots we'd like to request the next time we go there. This river has some endangered toads that live in/around it.  Anglers were asked to disinfect their waders before entering the water to keep the little critters safe.


Here's our rig from the hind end.


All this work made us a little hungry and thirsty.  Appetizer and happy hour time!


Nothing better than a Glam Glass to enjoy a glass of wine next to the fire pit.  Sometimes you have to improvise when a side table is needed.


Sometime between the appetizers, happy hour and the above picture we discovered that the water pump in the camper wasn't working.  We got out all the owner's manuals, read the notes I took during our walk through and never could get it working.  Irv went over and got the camp host to see if he could shed any light on what the problem was.  Nope.  We never could get it working, but once again we improvised and figured out a way to have water.


That is why it's now 9:00 and we're grilling brats in the dark.  It was an amazing first day and night.  I love, love, love being outdoors with a campfire, a good glass of wine, and my darling.  No place else I'd rather be.

Stay tuned for day two.


Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
It looks like a great time had by all. You had some rough spots and figured them out. You had wine, food, a fire, and each other. What else could you want. Sure beats a tent is what I say.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!